close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DVD recorders with built-in 160gb hard drives

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Thirties, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Thirties

Thirties

I'm thinking of buying a solution to my search for a way to copy certain of my VHS tapes onto DVD discs.

I don't need to use my computer for this task. In fact, I'd rather use a stand-alone machine to do it away from the computer, since the ripping/recording will take time, and computers are not yet really multitasking tools.

Ideally I'd like a machine with the DVD recorder/player and the VHS in one box. But I'd also go for a DVD player/recorder with hard drive in one box, and a separate VHS player/recorder in a second unit with cables in between.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. js_gresham

js_gresham Where am I? CLM

So long as the tapes you are going to copy are tapes that YOU recorded, you shouldn't have any problems. I bought a DVD recorder with hard drive a few years ago, and loved it from the start. (Panasonic DMR-E80H, fwiw).

I have no experience with the combo (DVD/VHS) units. My recommendation is that if you use separate units is to make sure you get a good VHS player (4 head, component [RCA] output), and use high quality RCA cables for the cross-connect. IF you get a unit with the hard drive, record to the hard drive first -- this way you can eliminate the "garbage" without wasting space on DVD media (which, while not terribly expensive, is not "cheap".)

Yeah, it takes an additional step (similar to your computer issue -- agreed), but in my experience, it looks a lot cleaner that way.

j

3. Thirties

Thirties

Thanks, J...

I will look into such a setup.

4. joshoowa

joshoowa

well i dont have a vhs/dvd combo player, but i do have a dvd-r/rw/ram/harddrive(160gb) player.

its a toshiba rd-xs35 and man let me tell you i love it. comes with tv guide onscreen and with it you can setup specific recordings, its sort of like tivo. currently i have house, prison break, vanished, and bones setup to record when they show their new episodes weekly. now i can do other stuff and just watch it later on that evening or even over the weekend. i purchased it a few months ago it was around 500+tax now its like 425+tax.

heres a link to a website dedicated to dvd recorders and a whole lot more stuff...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106