close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DVD picture has funky colors.... is it my woofer?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ThinkOfTheChildren, Mar 2, 2005.

1. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

When I watch DVD's, the colors often go a little funky.... nothing huge, but you can notice purple hues where they shouldn't be, green/blue shifts, etc etc.

Now, my subwoofer is far enough from the TV that it's clearly not messing with it (I can play music as loud as I want and it doesn't change the TV picture) but my DVD player sits only a few inches above my subwoofer. Is this why there's a problem? I don't know enough about how DVD players decode the DVD and send the signal to the TV but is there anything in the player that would be messed up by the woofer?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's simply the woofer messing with the DVD player or whether my DVD player is just breaking down.

I would just move the DVD player to a different location but that will require a LOT of shifting stuff around and reworking cords so I'm trying to get an idea before I start rearranging.

2. nickg

nickg

if it's only affecting your DVD and not your regular video imput then that eliminates that. most speakers today are shielded particularly for home theather use so i doubt if it is the sub.

of course if your sub is rattlin' the crap outta your player i'm sure that's not good for picture stabilization.

3. podwich

podwich

I'd try moving stuff around to see if that helps. I'd still initially suspect the sub-often they are not magnetically shielded due to the size of the magnet and difficulty (and expense) in shielding. I wouldn't expect the picture to change with the sound it outputs either-it's the huge magnet inside that's causing the problems.

I doubt it's your DVD player, but who knows. I assume you've had this TV for awhile? My family once got a new TV that for some reason wasn't shielded from the internal speakers-that one went back to the store.

4. podwich

podwich

Wait, I looked at your post again-you mean the picture's fine except when you play DVDs? Do you mean the color shifts you are seeing are all across the screen and not just a little part of it? In that case, I'd check connections (try different cords) and then try another DVD player if you have one. I'd think if it's doing that then either the connections are bad or something's internally screwed up in the DVD player, TV, or receiver (if you route video through it).

5. nickg

nickg

that's why i asked if their are any picture problems with ANY other video sources, such as standard tv imput. if there is then it could be an unshielded sub. but if it's only during DVD play then yeah, the sub could be eliminated in that regard.

6. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

When the video signal leaves the DVD player, does it go through any other devices on its way to the TV? If it is, could be a Macrovision protection effect that you're seeing on the screen.

7. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

Thanks, guys.

Yes, the problem is ONLY with DVD playback. Not with any other video input to the TV.

Yes, the DVD runs through an AV switch because I have so many things plugged to the TV (computer, vcr, game system, dvd). The sources all go into one device made by RCA and you just click the button of which one you want to output to the TV. I'll see about trying without the switch.

The color shifts are usually a slightly visible bar across the screen, not just in spots, and the bars can be at different heights (they change location and hue shift depending on the colors in the DVD). For example, in a scene that has a lot of blue (an ocean or pool) there will be a bar across the blue that turns it a slight greenish tint. It's not very noticeable at first, but once you realize it's there, it's annoying!