close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DVD help please.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by XBFLAT, Apr 14, 2007.

1. XBFLAT

XBFLAT Wayward member

I just installed a new DVD ROM on my puter. The video plays good, but the audio skips. If I insert an audio CD the sound is great. What's up? Any ideas? Thanks.

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

check for an update to your dvd player software. i.e. if it's PowerDVD, search google for "PowerDVD update".

there might be some sort of patch available for the version you have.

it could be hardware too, how old is your computer? if it came with windows 98, the processor & RAM & motherboard may just be too old.

3. Bronson7

Bronson7

See if there are any updates for your firmware while you're at it.
    Bronson7

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Ditto.

Maybe your computer is too slow, not enough memory or has too many processes running in your system tray. (the task bar in the lower right hand corner shows running processes).

[​IMG]

5. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

What software are you using to play videos? Are these DVD movies or just video files? Has it at any point played them correctly (maybe the first time or two you watched a video) or has it always skipped the audio?

Do you recall if you used a 40 conductor ribbon or 80? Is there another device connected on the same IDE cable? Is the DVD drive set as master or slave?

Open up device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Devices, properties of Primary and Secondary, check the Advanced Settings tab for both of these. Anywhere in there, does it say PIO only? Both of these should say DMA if available for Device 0 and 1 on both Primary and Secondary. -dok