close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DVD Drive problem....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Jan 17, 2006.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I decided yesterday to upgrade my CD R drive to a new DVD drive yesterday. Went out and picked up a Lite ON DVD Drive, installed, etc, everything is fine, with 1 exception.

I went to reboot my PC to the Windows XP disk(a standard, OEM CD), well, for some reason, I could not boot from the Disk. The Drive just makes this strange clicking noise. So I restart, check boot order in bios, etc, all is as it should be. I then start over, and the drive sounds like it is constantly starting/stopping spinning the disk. There is also this strange clicking noise when it is trying to boot from a CD.

So I then tried to boot from a CD that I had burned(A live version of Linux Ubuntu), and it would not boot, same problem. I then went ahead and went to windows, and I can load CD's, DVD's, etc, fine in Windows, just can't load them on boot. I just get that strange clicking sound and then only while booting a CD.

Just for the heck of it, I burned Linux Ubuntu Live to a blank DVD, and restarted, and it reads the DVD just fine. I don't think the problem is the drive. Is it normal for a DVD drive to not boot a CD?

Thanks
    IGF

2. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

That's weird. I also have a Lite-on DVDROM in my new computer and it boots from CDs just fine.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It should be able to boot from a CD-R.Many drives won't boot from CD-RW's.Maybe a firmware update will fix it.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Or more likely it's a jumper issue.

If there's no other optical drive installed, try putting the jumper on CS (cable select) or remove it altogether if it is alone.

Misbehaving optical drives are a very common problem when not professionally installed. Did you check your old CD drive to see where its jumper was?

If there is another optical drive try setting both to CS or the one on the end of the cable to MA and the other to SL.

GL!

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Some mothervoards have problems when there's more than one CD/DVD drive.If there is another drive in the PC disconnect it and see what happens.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This is what I'm thinking. I moved the jumper to Cable Select before reading your post, same problem. I'll try removing the jumper and see what happens. No other optical drives on the system, so thats not the issue.

IGF