DVD Digital Camcorder disc question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ShipWreck, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Just got a new DVD-RW Digital Sony Movie Camera at a closeout price (make videos of my son).

Anyway - we bought some SONY DVD-RW discs - I plan to tape my movies on them, and then copy them on my PC to regular DVD discs. Then, I can reformat the camera's DVD-RW disc and use it again.

Anyone know how many times one of these mini-dvd discs can be re-written? If I remember, CD-RW discs can only be done so many times before U start to have data loss.

I assume it would be the same for DVD-RW discs...

2. Thirties

Thirties

Don't know how they work in a Sony DVD video camera, but in my Panasonic DVR you can record DVD-RW literally 1,000 (one thousand) times. The hitch is that, without finalizing, they will only play on the Panasonic recorder, not another device. Once finalized, they will play on all devices.

Of course, if you play them on your Sony videocam wired directly into a DVD recoding device, then you would be able to re-format the DVD-RW later.

DVD-R cost about 30-50 cents each, while DVD-RW cost about $5 each.

3. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Well, my plan is to finalize those little 30 minutes DVD-RW discs in the camcorder - then use the PC to copy them to a $1 DVD-R. But, then I will erasde the DVD-RW 30 min disc in the video camera and reuse it.

I just didn't know how many times it could be reformatted and reused w/o image quality or data loss.

Someone on another forum told me 100-500x of reuse per disc. I thought I had read someplace 20-30x. I'm hoping for 100x or more.

4. Thirties

Thirties

I read the 1,000X in my Panasonic instruction manual . . . by the way, once you finalize a DVD-RW, you cannot erase it later. A finalized disc is a read-only disc.