close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DVD burners

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jack19512, Jan 1, 2007.

1. jack19512

jack19512

My wife needs a DVD burner for her computer. There are +R and -R formats. I really don't know the difference. Could someone please tell me if you were buying a DVD burner for a computer would you choose the +R or -R and why. Thanks

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Depending how fast her PC is it might be able to use one of the newer faster dual format DVD writers. DVD-R was slightly earlier and became heavily promoted in the US.Other countries hadn't started to spend the money on DVD writers until the DVD+R came out and it became the most popular in Europe.In Japan now DVD-RAM is very popular for home videos.

There used to be a slight burning speed advantage to DVD+R over DVD-R when the DVD writers were much slower.These days there ism't much difference in writing speed at all.DVD-R is usually the most compatible with DVD players for TV's.DVD-RAM won't work at all in standard DVD players for TV's.A lot of the newer DVD players for TV will now play many but not all DVD+R's.I've got a dual format 16X DVD-R and DVD+R writer on a PC with a 733Mhz Pentium III and 256 MB of RAM.It works fine.I only buy the DVD-R disks.

The main difference originaly between DVD-R and DVD+R is the DVD+R used to write slightly faster.With the current 8X and 16X DVD writers this is not a factor.

DVD-RAM holds twice as much data per disk.The dual layer DVD disks cost 5 times the price of standard signle layer DVD disk so no savings there.

Check the requirements of each DVD writer,I would avoid the newest faster ones such are advertised as "18X" and the dual layer writers if it's an older PC.

3. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

DVD-r is ok for backups and for burning a movie or pics, etc then?

4. jack19512

jack19512

Washington,D.C.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

5. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

The simple answer: almost none. If you are backing up data both work great, however when it comes to movies and stand alone DVD players the older models have problems reading DVD + R discs.