Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently considering doing some modifications to my duty weapon. Such as slide cuts, TiN barrel, flared magwell, extended mag release, extended slide release, stippling, and replacement trigger. My question is would there any reason not to do these modifications. I want it to remain reliable and still be fun to shoot at the range, plus it looks nice.

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
Duty weapon, Don't.

Range toy, go for it.

Reactions: Smokey613

·
Registered
528 Posts
Extended controls can be easily hit when under stress. Slide Cut and Magwell would be nice upgrades. If you get a new barrel, give it a full on torture test before carrying. 250~500 rounds to test it out should give you a good indication if it's going to be reliable with your gun. I'd leave the rest of the gun including trigger alone.

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
The interweb is your friend. Just do a search and read too your heart's content. Too many "fix" their Glock to unreliable.
Many of the things you describe shouldn't effect performance, but changing internals and chopping slides can lead to trouble. The stipple and mag well should be fine. Changing sights shouldn't do anything if you don't like the sights.

Your choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, in short. Stippling, sight change, magwell. Everyone says no to trigger, slide cuts, and extended slide and mag release?

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Check with your departments policy and armorers/range master. If you want to do it, more power to you.

Only thing I would recommend is sights, change grip if you absolutely must, but other than that, I don’t do much to my duty/carry guns. I did put a flat trigger in my 1911, but didn’t change trigger pull or anything dramatically. Just the reach.

Unless you can prove it’s really going to effect how well you can run the gun, I don’t see the need in dropping the money into a duty gun that’s reliable and functional

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
Duty weapon as in police or paid security then check with your agency. If just a carry gun then go hog wild and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check with your departments policy and armorers/range master. If you want to do it, more power to you.

Only thing I would recommend is sights, change grip if you absolutely must, but other than that, I don’t do much to my duty/carry guns. I did put a flat trigger in my 1911, but didn’t change trigger pull or anything dramatically. Just the reach.

Unless you can prove it’s really going to effect how well you can run the gun, I don’t see the need in dropping the money into a duty gun that’s reliable and functional
My thought is you will shoot a gun that is fun to shoot and is more comfortable more often. Making you better with said gun. As far as the trigger I just want smooth and crisp. No weight change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As in Deputy Sheriff. Our department only has one policy regarding our weapons. Nothing smaller than 9mm

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Just make sure any mods don’t change reliability. Bet your life on it.

I get the fun gun gets the food. I forced myself to like my Glock and now there’s no looking back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Duty weapon leave it alone dry fire it etc.Back in 1985 I was issued a S&W M66 4 inch stainless.All through the Academy Not letting hammer fall as well as dry firing thousands of times.By the time I hit the street the action was like glass.You would have swore it was a Colt Python.First night out in FTO I got into a shooting.They took my gun gave me a replacement and had the Armorer go over the gun.They swore I polished the action which I did not.They couldnt believe it.Just for information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts