Duty knife

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by scottydl, Apr 25, 2012.

1. scottydl

scottydl

I've never had a decent duty knife in 10+ years on the job. A lot of guys absolutely swear by them and spend major moolah for the latest and greatest, but I've never really seen the benefit. With 2 pistols and a rifle in the trunk (not to mention OC, Taser, and baton), what are the chances I'll need a knife to defend myself? Plus I have absolutely no training with edged weapons. Wouldn't it be a good idea for academies to cover this?

Anyway a good blade is probably a decent idea for utility purposes (like cutting a seatbelt in a burning car) if nothing else, although I don't have big bucks to spend on a knife. So come with the recommendations, all you blade freaks. :cool:

P.S. Oh and if anyone has an older quality knife they are interested in unloading, send me a PM.

2. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

In my opinion, the best bang for your buck is the Kershaw knives; just find one you like.

3. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

I've carried Spyderco, Gerber (Applegate Fairbairn), benchmade 550's, and for some years now have only carried benchmade autos. All got the job done.

4. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

love my kershaw blur, has assisted opening that acts more like an auto and has a great grip. retails for $120, but trusty amazon has it for $60

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Tactical-Folding-Knife/dp/B0009VCA1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335367170&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Kershaw Ken Onion Tactical Blur Folding Knife with Speed Safe: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41-7--0nvgL[/ame]

5. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Unlike most of the other stuff, a good knife has other uses such as cutting seatbelts, sharing donuts, making vent holes in the lids on coffee cups...

IMHO, get a dedicated pouch for your duty belt, that way your chance of losing it goes way down. I have had the same Benchmade CQ7c for more than a decade. Mine was a gift, but there are many options out there for less than $100 that should last a lifetime.

6. docholliday1

docholliday1

Take a look at the Benchmade Triage. Carbide glass breaker, seat belt cutter, and a blade

7. scottydl

scottydl

That sounds perfect... but at $140-150 it's about $100 over my budget unfortunately.

I like it, I like it... is that small serrated section of the blade actually useful for anything?

What kind of warranties do duty knives offer in general?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

serrated TDI

9. collim1

collim1

Knives are like sunglasses. You'll never lose a cheap one, but the expensive ones always disappear, especially on duty.

I have some nice knives, but I wont carry them at work. Right now I carry a Gerber Gator at work. Knives with pocket clips tend to snag on doorways and car doors and vanish. I carry my knife in my back pocket with no clip.

10. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I like a little serration... I think it is much better on things like seatbelts.

Exactly why I carry mine in a pouch on my belt.

11. itstime

itstime

Blur is the most inexpensive I've carried cant say anything bad about them.

12. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

I carry 2 knives at work. I carry a Benchmade HK Soldat which is my everyday utility knife.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/HK-Benchmade-Point-Coated-Folding/dp/B00555SEBW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335380698&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: HK Benchmade Drop Point BT2 Coated Combo Edge Folding Knife: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41YIHBnSV4L[/ame]

I also carry a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn on my weak side. The Soldat is nothing fancy and relatively inexpensive so I can replace it fairly easily if it gets lost or broken.

13. Chowser

Chowser

:rofl:

this sounds like me. lost expensive knives and sunglasses. now i carry a cheap pocket folder and some cheap nike sunglasses and i've had them for over two years now.

---
    when i qualified with this HK as an offduty/backup, I asked if I could carry the pictured "knife" and was promptly told NO. A few weeks later, new policy came out for some reason prohibiting any/all "martial arts" type weapons.

[​IMG]
    :shocked:

14. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I have and love a Spyderco Delica and Kershaw Tactical Blur.

Both great knives, around $50.

I bought the Kershaw after suggestions in a similar thread last year.

I can't see spending beaucoup bucks on an exotic knife when these do the same job.

Re: warranties, Kershaw has a lifetime, with free lifetime sharpening. I recently sent it back for sharpening. Spyderco I think has no specific warranty but they should cover any damage for a lifetime.

15. fletch_man

fletch_man Santo Pistolero

Your best bet is the Delica. You can get one with a combo edge or straight serrated edge. 3" blade is all you need. The FRN handles are light and tough and the locks are very good. Learn to sharpen your own knife. Any Tri-Corner ceramic system works well. Chicks send knives off to be resharpened. This is like having another man reload your weapon for you at the range. You should be doing this yourself.

16. Aries4570

Aries4570

I know you said it's out of your price range but I bought mine for $114 shipped. I'm sure you can find a used one in your price range. It really is the one of the best tools I have bought.

17. blueiron

blueiron

I bought an Emerson in the 1990s, carried it everyday, and it still is giving exceptional service.

I had Benchmades and others, but the Emerson is worth the cost to me.

18. ftw13

ftw13

zero tolerance 0350,picked mine up for a hundred on ebay

19. Glocker1984

Glocker1984

Any of these would serve you well:

Spyderco Delica
    Spyderco Endura
    Spyderco ParaMilitary2
    Spyderco Police
    Kershaw Blackout
    Kershaw Blur
    Ontario RAT Model 1
    Benchmade 551
    Combative Edge M1
    ZT 0300

20. Gombey

Gombey

I see a lot of guys posting Benchmade knives posted on Amazon.

If you go to their site and register as military or LE they have a discount programme.

The knives are a good deal cheaper that way.