close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duty Gear Suggestions

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by toddmog, Feb 11, 2010.

1. toddmog

toddmog

I just got hired on as a reserve deputy in my county and am needing some inexpensive duty gear. I have to provide everything out of my pocket.

I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds here without much luck. Since I can go with nylon, I've narrowed down my selections to either the DutyPro line from Galls or Bianchi PatrolTek. The PatrolTek is a little more expensive, but not by much. As far as holsters go, we can pretty much use whatever we want. I'm looking at the level 2 and level 3 blackhawk serpa duty holsters for my G19.

I would be open to suggestions and/or thoughts on what I should go with. Again, I'm not looking to invest a ton of money at this point.

2. CW Mock

CW Mock

If you have some time to do it, I would shop for used Bianchi accumold elite gear. It's far superior to the leather stuff I am forced to wear. I had it at my campus guard gig, and its lighter and tougher than leather, cheaper, and its easy to clean up. They make it in plain, basketweave and clarino finishes.

I have found pieces on e-bay here and there that are in good shape. I used to have a belt in accumold elite, but I think I sold it already. If you have the time, I think the search would be worth it. You can then have a tough set of gear that looks as good as leather. I'm in the camp that doesn't think nylon looks very good, but your taste and opinion may vary.

As for the belt itself, I thought I might add this: The Bianchi was good, but very stiff. An Uncle Mikes Mirage was much more "leatherlike" in flexibility for me. Both are better than the regular leather Safariland belts we are issued, and don't fall apart nearly as fast.

3. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

As much as I like the nylon look for the tactical/CDI factor, the rig I used at my last department wasn't very good, but then again, they were serious penny pinchers and bought us the Galls stuff. I'm not going to say don't get it, but my experience was that I didn't like it. Your experience might be different.

There's Atlantic Tactical, and a ton of other dealers out there that carry options for you, even including some posters here. Specifically, I keep hearing about wprebeck and his amazing prices, but I can't speak to that, as I haven't ordered from him. You might want to PM him and see what he can do for you.

On a personal note, I LOVE my Blackhawk Serpa Level 3! Low maintenance, VERY secure and surprisingly fast draw. Good choice on that one!

Hope I helped even a little bit.

ETA: Apparently, the website for wprebeck is: http://www.crap4cops.com/store/

Let me know how it goes!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  4. pal2511

pal2511

I might have some extra pm me with what u need

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

For a holster, you should consider Safariland STX. Cheap and reliable and it is the industry standard. I have a SERPA off-duty for the retention but I wouldn't quite trust it for duty use. I have also heard some horror stories about how little pebbles or material getting stuck in the SERPA mechanism, jamming it for good, which required literally cutting the holster apart to get the gun out. There's a reason why Safariland dominates the duty holster market. I use the SLS 6285 with a hood sentry and optional lever lock while others here swear by the ALS 6360.

As for belt and accessories, I go with a Bianchi accumold belt (always have for 10 years) and a mix of Bianchi and Uncle Mike's accessories like pouches and cases. I have a preference for black exposed snaps so I don't use the Bianchi hidden snap stuff, preferring Uncle Mike's but for open pouches like the radio holder and baton case, I use Bianchi. Bianchi is built more thick and sturdy so it feels stiffer and more solid. Uncle Mike's has a different aesthetic and is a bit cheaper priced.

Do you have any gear right now or you're starting from scratch? If you don't find any classifieds, start asking for extras and discards, either as a donation to a new cop or offer to trade a few things.

I recently traded a few items with another member here who is also starting off and needed some gear. I had some extra items and a pair of NIB boots, he offered up some cool trinkets which I liked so we made it work. He got gear, I got toys.

6. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I would avoid the Galls gear in nylon, it is soft and after a little bit of use the various pouches tend to deform and collapse, the edges roll up, and it loooks like crap.

Can't speak for their leather gear, but in the catalog it looks cheap, too.

I realize money is an issue, but duty gear, especially leather gear, is a long term investment. I have stuff on my belt from 13 years ago still. Buy good stuff.

I use a Safariland 6360 based on suggestions here and it is a very good holster. FineTac finish or STX tac finish or whatever it is called will save you some money over a plain leather or clarino look, and is more durable, too.

If you must have nylon then Bianchi Accumold has always impressed me.

wpbreck's site, listed above, is a good resource. He's a good dude with very fair prices.

7. dp509

dp509 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I say go with Safariland for the duty holster.

I use a 6280 with sentry lock. I love it :supergrin:

Call Gulf States Dist. in Montgomery, Al.

1-800-223-7869

They are very inexpensive and carry a large selection in stock.

They have Safariland & Bianchi Leather and nylon gear.

8. toddmog

toddmog

Thanks for all the replies! I am starting from scratch and need everything. Ultimately I would like something like the accumold elite or uncle mikes mirage line...both in basketweave. However, they are both about double the price of the nylon stuff I was looking at.

I basically have about a month or so to get things together. I would certainly consider used gear if the price is right. I understand that gear is a long term investment, but its hard to convince the wife that when I will only be a reserve. Since I am a full time youth pastor, it is unlikely that I will ever be more than a reserve.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Yes, avoid the off-name brands. I can vouch for that. I bought some a long time ago when I was starting off and have regretted it as it stretched and fell apart in front of my eyes.

Safariland, Bianchi, Uncle Mike's. No regrets, ever. Quality lasts. I have my basketweave getup from 1994 and my nylon setup from 1999. Most of the stuff is still on there. Got more mileage than you, sonny boy!

10. toddmog

toddmog

Does anyone have any experience using CopQuest? I can get everything that I need from there (including cuffs) for $348.47 with free shipping. That total does not include a baton or OC holder since I won't need them right away, if at all. Our Sheriff isn't big on the baton and the Master Deputy that runs the reserve unit isn't big on OC. I may just end up with a taser.

Also, it looks like I'm gonna go with the Safariland 6280 or 6285. Someone sell me on the advantages or disadvantages that one has over the other. Am I likely to love or hate the extra 1.5" drop of the 6285?

Thanks again...once again GT has proven to be a wealth of knowledge.

On another note, I'm only about 40 mins away from OMB...I wish their prices were a little more competitive. They average at least a dollar or two more on every piece and I would also have to pay tax. Not to mention they are backordered on the holster.

11. pal2511

pal2511

Toddmog what do you need I'm about hour and half from omb

12. toddmog

toddmog

Looking for basketweave
    Duty belt (40-46)
    Inner belt (40-46)
    Keepers
    Radio Holder
    Double mag pouch for G19
    Glove pouch
    Cuff Case (2)
    D-Cell flashlight ring
    S&W or Peerless Cuffs
    Safariland 6280 or 6285 in STX basketweave for G19

I'm trying to work with a guy on KSCCW.com for some stuff too. I'll have to see what all he has.

13. pal2511

pal2511

I vote for the 6360 its 99 at omb

14. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Proud Husband

I wear a 6365 but the 6360 is a superb holster (except with longer-slide pistols). The TAC finish is totally bomb proof and doesn't look bad at all with other belt gear that is plain leather.

It's very fast and offers excellent security even after a quick re-holstering.

OpticsPlanet.com has very low prices on the Safariland 636x Series but there is a wait of several weeks.

15. HuntingGuy

HuntingGuy Show me 10-8.

Another vote for this holster.

Stick with Accumold Elite gear, you won't regret it.

16. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Hunting Guy, I sent you a PM.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

6285 is what I have always gone with when I bought my own except for the basketweave one they issued me which is the standard 6280. The 6280 makes me have to lean over to the left as I tuck my elbow up past 90 degrees to get my hand on the grip.

I like having a lower ride holster because it doesn't require me to kink my arms so much when I draw, or as it occurs more often, just resting my hand on top of the gun holster for retention when I am out and about in public.

There's no advantage or disadvantage on having the 1.5" of extra drop other than that it's whatever fits your physique and preference. Maybe you need to try it out so you can see if you like the mid-ride (6280) which puts the top of the holster right at your waistline or if the low-ride (6285) which puts the top of the holster at the top of the side pocket slit of the uniform pants.

BTW, I might have another G19 duty mag holder in bw leather. Let me dig in the closet and get back to you. It's actually for the G23 but it'll work.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I would've loved to try the 6365 for my G34/M6 combo except it wasn't a stockc item and I had to wait a few months so I stuck with the 6285 with hood guard and sentry latch to bump it up to L3.

The STX-TAC finish is pretty much indestructible, and I have one that endured about 5 years of constant beating with jumping in and out of cars and hitting that stupid seat belt latch and bumping walls and all that it shows is a few lines where it is more shiny and not matte.

19. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

If you're still looking at nylon, I have a good bit of Safariland nylon gear that I can't use anymore that I'd be willing to part with for very little. You said you were looking for pouches for a G19; I used a G23 with this rig, so everything should be the same. I have a Safarliand 6070 Raptor (level III) holster, mag pouch, cuff case, 21" ASP and holder (ASP brand), MK3 OC holder, possibly some other stuff; I'd have to look. I used this for about a year and a half working armed security, and it worked VERY well for me. Now that I'm working corrections, I only wear the belt with a glove pouch, surefire and case, and one cuff case on it, and have been looking to get rid of the rest. If you or anyone else is interested, just shoot me a PM!