Dusting off the G29...

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by DHart, Feb 20, 2017.

1. DHart

DHart

I've recently gotten back to shooting my long neglected G29. Put on some Talon rubber grips, installed a LW 3.5 connector and 6# trigger spring, put in the KKM barrel. The serrated trigger has been replaced with a smooth faced trigger, as well. I'm excited about 10mm again!
    [​IMG]

I like larger pistols, especially for heavier calibers, so I'm trying to decide if I should add a G20SF, or a G20 Gen 4? Your thoughts on that?

Have the G20 Gen 4 troubles become a thing of the past?

1L26, gatorboy, JMag and 3 others like this.
  2. Mister-B

Mister-B

Nice photo. Step on up to the big daddy 10mm. The G40 MOS. Put on a nice optic and the beavertail grip attachment, and the thing's a beast. Gen 4 problems were worked out long ago

pjanthony likes this.

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I can't answer that, which is why I can only recommend based on my experiences with my Gen 3, G20SF. I do shoot it a lot better than my Glock 29.
    Although, lately, I've been giving a fair amount of range time to my Glock 30 SF and when I swapped a .40S&W conversion barrel into my G29 last week, I shot two unexpectedly tight 25 round groups with it. I couldn't say if the tight groups were due to:
    • Practice with subcompact large frame Glocks
    • the reduced recoil of the .40 S&W (and my reaction to it)
    • the Lone Wolfe barrel
    but, fortunately, (like you) I am fired up about firing my Glock 29 some more.

Here is a link to a write up I did on trying to tighten up my groups with my Glock 29. I need to add photographs of targets from my range session with the .40 S&W barrel.
    http://chronosscifi.com/healingHeeling.html

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    DHart likes this.
  4. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665

I only have one Gen 4...its a G40...I have yet to find a single thing wrong with it.

It hasn't failed to function in any way using loads from 40 S&W (yes, actual 40 ammo, WWB) all the way to reloads slinging 200 grain XTP's at nearly 1,300 fps.

No brass in the face...the ejection pattern is reliable and very consistent...the distance varies some based on how hot the load is, but you can fire one round to see where the brass goes...then set a 5 gallon bucket there, and probably catch 10 of the next 15, the rest will be very close by.

I've never owned, or even seen, a pistol that ejected that consistently...not a Glock, not even a $2,000 Les Baer 1911...I have seen a few AR15's that would do it, but thats another story.

Call me sold on the Gen 4....mainly because the mid size backstraps are a perfect fit for me...I can use the SF's or the non-SF large frames just fine, I do have big hands...but I find the mid size with the beaver tail to be just plain perfect.

pjanthony likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart

Is there a noticeable (significant?) difference in felt recoil between the G40 and the G20 G4? I would imagine that return to target is a little quicker with the G40?

I'm leaning toward the G20 because it may carry it CCW and the G40 would be too long for comfort doing that.

6. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665

I would say yes, there is a significant difference in recoil...the G40 is 5 ounces heavier... and its all in the slide.

The G40 is in no way a CCW pistol, no way at all...open carry for someone going for the modern day Wyatt Earp look, maybe.

If CCW is anywhere on the radar, the 20 is the way to go.

cougar_ml likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart

Yes, the G20 makes more sense for me as being a manageable size for carry.

refugeepj and cougar_ml like this.
  8. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

I carry the glock 20 IWB. If I were to try carrying anything longer there is no way I would be able to sit down while wearing it. The bottom corner of the holster touches the seat I'm sitting on which means the muzzle is only 1/4 inch up from that.

DHart and refugeepj like this.
  9. M162

M162

While my G29 gen 4 is my perfered concealed carry, my g20 gen 4 is much more enjoyable to shoot. My G20 was manufactured in 2016, and has had zero issues in reliability.

Both guns are wonderful powerhouses and serve their intended purpose well.

cougar_ml and DHart like this.
  10. Taterhead

Taterhead

DHart, that is a great photo of a really nice looking Glock!

DHart likes this.