Duramax diesel drivers??

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by Satch, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Satch

Satch "Dang"

Anyone driving a Duramax powered truck? I'd like opinions good and/or bad. Any of the dealers in the Indy area have any techs who know much about them? That is all. Inquiring minds want to know.

2. k12lts

k12lts

My dad bought the first one the local dealer sold in 2001. He pulled a 34' fifth wheel RV to Florida and back every year for several years and pulled it to Alaska and back two years ago at age 75.

The truck has been absolutly trouble free since new and gets 20mpg on the highway empty.

My brother in law also bought one in 2001 and has had no problems as well. He puts alot more miles on that my dad but does not pull heavy loads, only a horse trailer.

3. Satch

Satch "Dang"

Now that's just way cool. I figure if I don't deserve one, who does? Keep the comments coming please.

4. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I don't have much to add...other than:

You'd better hope the engine doesn't require major repair work...ever. Let me 'splain --

Many have heard of Jasper Engines & Transmissions (based in Jasper, IN), they remanufacture the equipment.

Probably 3 years ago now, I had occasion to be working in Jasper, but was rained out. Co-worker and I decide to see of the company (next door to hotel) gave factory tours.

During the tour, we passed a crate that had a Duramax in it, as the company was looking into adding that engine to its list of remans.

The sales rep who was giving the tour said that just the labor alone in removing and prepping TWO Duramax engines was enough to keep the mechanic who performed the work financially solvent for that year.

I guess they're quite labor intensive to work on!!!

They shouldn't break, though... I hope :shocked:

-J-

5. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

I have been driving for a wrecker company for the last year and drive four trucks, but one exclusively for the most part. It's an '04 GMC 5500 with a Duramax and Vulcan bed. It's a pretty good truck as far as the engine, and as far as I know (with almost 70k on the clock) it's been trouble free. However there is a wiring harness problem that has plauged it since purchase that has kept it at the dealer quite a bit it's first year, and the bugs still aren't all worked out. But that may have something to do with the Vulcan bed not being installed correctly. It's a good engine. Lots of power, low fuel consumption, and pretty reliable.