close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

duracoating HELP ??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glock21-, Jul 25, 2012.

1. glock21-

glock21-

i have seen photos of people having od green flat dark earth lower on there handguns and i was wondering how to duracoat my lower that will stick really good no chipping or cracking b4 and after shooting ?.......

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

It is possible you might have seen an OD Glock or a flat dark earth Glock from that came that way from the factory. Both were made with the color molded into the polymer. That said I have a gun that is duracoated (not Glock) and the finish has held up fine so far. These guys did a great job -
    http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/index2.html

3. jtsteiert

jtsteiert

I dont know anything about duracote so I can not comment on that product, I can tell you about cerakota though, it is a very durable product and can be applied to polymers and wood as well as metal and aluminum.
    Check out that product... the have application guides that explain how to prep and apply to all types of surfaces.
    it comes in almost every color you would want.
    I just applied it to one of my guns and this was my first time using this product and it was very user friendly.

4. AcenJay

AcenJay

Duracoat and even Cerakote will not stick to polymer as well as it does to metal. No matter how well it is done, chipping and wearing off is inevitable because polymer flexes. You can always re-spray it though.

Magpul FDE:
    [​IMG]

Magpul Foliage Green:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  5. glock21-

glock21-

nice pictures .. so theres no way at all to have it painted or whatever to make it as if it was to come like that factory ?
    i dont really want to re-paint it every time im done shooting .. or if glock does it them self were i can just send it in ?? and im not needing to paint the slide just the lower

6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Well you could just check Gun Broker,Gun Auction or Guns America for a factory OD or FDE Glock and then the color would be through and through,no painting. SJ 40

7. AcenJay

AcenJay

You shouldn't need to re-spray it every time you go out shooting. If it's done well it could last months before it needs to be sprayed again. Little chips may happen from knocking the gun against a surface or stray thrown brass. There are wear points that should get a thicker coating to last longer from holstering like the trigger guard and dust cover. If it's a daily-use weapon that gets holstered and un-holstered often, it's eventually gonna have little spots of black showing again. That's the main cause of Duracoat wearing off the frame, in my experience with it. There isn't any way that I know of to get the frame color to stay the same as factory without the color being molded into the polymer in the first place.

8. glock21-

glock21-

ah i see thanks a lot guys ill see what i can do and if i do it ill post pics

9. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I'd try alumahyde II. It is rattle-can so touching it up would not be too hard. We know the Glock frame will withstand acetone, so wash the frame in acetone or just wipe it off with same. then spray and let it cure for a week.

10. glock21-

glock21-

ill look that up also thanks