close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

duracoating a keltec slide

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ssgrock3, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

is this worth doing? pro's con's, if you have done it, would you do it again?

2. Line Rider

Line Rider

$100 to $200 to plate a kel-tec isn't going to at to the function or value.

Buy another keltec or put the money on another gun.

3. smokin762

smokin762

I have used DuraCoat many times. I love it. If you can do a nice paint job with a can of spray paint then you will be okay with DuraCoat.

Pro's, once you have painted your item it is now pretty much rust resistent. You are now able to have your firearms whatever color you want, there are no limits. You can have it shiny or dull and anything in between. It is your choice.

Con's, if you don't like it to bad your commited now. Always try it on a test part to see if your going to be happy with it first.

4. Line Rider

Line Rider

My mistake. I thought you had to send the slide to someone and had dura coat applied like a plated finish.

5. shnev

shnev We The People

I had my wife's and my P3AT powder coated in dull black. A friend of mine gave me a demonstration of how durable powder coating was. He set up a propane torch and burned it for about five minutes. There was some discoloring from the flame, but that was to be expected. He then he went to sanding on the finish with a coarse sanding wheel. I was very impressed with the finishes durability.
    I thought I would take a risk and get both slides coated. He put them in his sand blasting booth and stripped the blued finish off outer surfaces of the slide. When the slides came out of the booth I started to feel like I made a big mistake. It looked like the metal had been eaten away. My friend applied the powder coat and moved them into the oven. About 20 minutes later he pulled them out to let them cool. They look fantastic now. I am not worried in the least about rust and scratching up the slides.
    I wish I had some photos to show everyone.
    I would do it again without hesitation (on my working guns, not the show pieces).

Regards,

shnev

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. Wilson 17&26

Wilson 17&26

The P-3AT below has DuraCoat on the polymer parts and Gun-Kote on the metal parts. Gun-Kote is supposed to be more salt resistant. DuraCoat has a better selection of colors and they can be mixed to match if a spray gun is used.
    [​IMG]
    Nice video of GK being applied here http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=..._on_Finish_Video_Guide___Chapter_4___Gun_Kote

I’m not very good at spraying evenly and my wife insisted I cover her painted garage floor (plus two of the walls). Most of my Kel-Tecs were farmed out for coating after that :crying:

The hard chrome P-3AT below has gray DuraCoat on the polymer grip and extensions with silver DuraCoated trigger. Gun-Kote on the metal magazine parts.

[​IMG]
    The $100 used P-3AT below has a Gun-Kote slide and magazine.
    [​IMG]

I have a bunch of others that have been refinished with these products, so my answer would be yes, if done properly.

7. Wilson 17&26

Wilson 17&26

If you are a member of the KTOG email list, Jack Fuselier will electroplate with hard nickel any KTOGers P11/P40/P32/P3AT or Grendel slides for $30. But you must follow his web page instructions to the T. He’ll also polish the slide rails and the hammer interface at no extra cost if requested. If rust has pitted the slide you need to point it out as his eye sight is not as good as it was 60 or 70 years ago. Magazine tubes are $7.50 if done with the slide. Jack loves Kel-Tecs and is very conservative! :patriot: