Duracoated My Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Pmc, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Pmc

Pmc Guest

Thought some fellow Glockers may be interested in the duracoat job I just did on my G30. It wears a Gemtech Blackside and CT Laser grips.

Here's what it looked like to begin with.
    [​IMG]
    The first step was to strip and degrease the unit. After masking it off it was ready for the base coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The base coat was Duracoat DM Gray Green, here's how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

After that had a chance to cure for a couple of days I applied my stencil. I used a sports equipment bag tacked in place with stencil adhesive.
    [​IMG]

The next coat was DM Tan, then stripes of DM Lizard folowed by some HK Black spots. Here's how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not quite as "Coppery" as I wanted but I think it will do.

Pmc

2. Gunfixr

Gunfixr Guest

I think it looks cool. I've Duracoated a couple of guns, one a solid color and one in an urban camo. Looks like a good job to me. I hadn't thought of the netting, I'll have to remember that if you don't mind.

3. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49 Guest

Looks nice!!

Kinda scaly fish like effect...pretty neat!!

What did you use to spray the material...air brush or HVLP? Also did you thin it out any?

We powder coated a G22 barrel and a G35 barrel this weekend as an experiment. If I knew how to post pictures, I'd show you the results.

4. Pmc

Pmc Guest

Gunfixr - feel free to, I picked up the idea off a guy on snipershide :)

Lowrider 49 - I am calling that finish "Lizard skin" :supergrin: I used a $15 airbrush from Harbor Freight. I have access to a HVLP gun & compressor but thought the airbrush would do better for this app. I didn't reduce it an as it was laying down well and flashing out quick. The humidity was low and temps were in the hi 60's low 70's. One trick I did was make a place to cure it out quickly.

I took a section of shelf.
    [​IMG]

and lined it with al. foil. using some hangers and a pair of 500 watt halogen lights worked well to get the temp up to between 110 and 125 depending on if I had them both cranked up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That sped the curing times up significantly.

Pmc

5. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49 Guest

PMC,

That should work just fine. I've used a 12" x 12" x 36" cardboard box and a 1500 watt space heater to do the same thing. The blower on the space heater moves the air real well and I can control the temp with the heater thermostat. I run it for about 30 minutes at 150 degrees or a little less and it does a real nice job. I first started to use it to preheat things for GunKote, but it is an easy way to dry all kinds of stuff, even speed epoxy set times. I bend coat hangers into whatever I need to suspend the object inside the box and fire up the heater.

Keep up the good work!!

6. Gunfixr

Gunfixr Guest

I also use an airbrush that I already had. I have yet to thin Duracoat as it is quite thin already. I like the lights idea, too. I'm going to be doing some more in the future and I'll have to do the light thing.

7. One Ragged Hole

One Ragged Hole Dis ain't funny

Try using a food dehydrator for your "oven". Mine tops out at 120deg, just over what Duracoat recommends, it does a great job, and they're pretty cheap.
    O-R-H

Edited to add: I also use it to bake model paintjobs, but thats another hobby.