close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duracoat?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Jordan3206, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

Im going ot be duracoating a glock and im wondering where i can spray it as far as in the frame or in the slide. Its a G34 so i want to do inside of the slide. My biggest concerns are the guide rails and places like the extractor housing. Anybody know how thick the stuff is?

2. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

It's applied with an airbrush. VERY thin actually. I guess I usually need about 3-4 coats. The first coat just barely 'tints' the object you're spraying with your new color choice. The 2nd starts adding good definition but doesn't totally mask the original color yet. After the 3rd & 4th coats you usually have it. Of course, this would all depend on the air/paint mixture of your brush too. I just prefer really thin coats.

I usually let everything dry overnight, then assemble the next day. But the stuff is actually still drying for about 3 weeks, it seems. That's how long the wonderful smell hangs around. I really do like it.:)

I did this AR in '05 or '06 and it still looks like a new factory finish. Even the flash hider after LOTS of rounds. I may try a 1911A1 this weekend. Haven't done a pistol yet.
    [​IMG]

3. vafish

vafish

It's as thick as you want to apply it.

The thicker it is the more durable it is.

I did my sons model 10

[​IMG]

I sprayed it extra thick in the high wear areas on a revolver such as the front sides of the barrel and the sides of the cylinder that get a lot of holster wear.

4. hamburger

hamburger

You can also add a reducer. You can find it in any body shop supply store. It thins out any paint for application purpose and then it's gone like magic, or that chick who was here last night.

5. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

Thanks guys, So has anyone actually done it to a glock and sprayed the inside of the slide and the inside of the frame? Also how viscous is this stuff i see that you guys have sprayed parts wear other objects slide along them. I guess my main concern is the slide rails rubbing on this stuff.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  6. vafish

vafish

If I were going to Duracoat a Glock I would not do the inside of the slide or frame.

On the model 10 I did you will note that I did not Duracoat the ejector rod.

7. doc540

doc540

three keys:

1. degrease thoroughly
    2. mix it exactly to the spec's
    3. let it dry a week before handling (I put my pieces in an oven for 30 minutes on the lowest setting..then hang them in the closet.)

It's a simple process and a good finish for the money.

And I wouldn't worry about anything rubbing on it.

8. HK Dan

HK Dan

You're fine. I've done GLOCK slides inside and out without an issue. Keep it out of the striker channel (a lil spot of tape on the breechface, extractor port, and the back.

If you give it 20 minutes at 115 degrees, it's cured. You don't need to do anything else, you can go shoot it when it cools off. Otherwise, yep, it needs to cure for 3 weeks.

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

its not going to harden in 115 degrees temperture, at 20 minutes, at that you would need to leave for a few days,

10. HK Dan

HK Dan

I've done it time and time again, Harley. Check Lauer's website, it says exactly the same thing.

11. doc540

doc540

and don't get the instructions confused with "DuraBake":cool:

12. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i do realize that the website says 110, but 110 is not baking ,

and the finish does not come to a full cure for several weeks,

and its the same thing as your not going to have it come to its full potential with just degreasing the surface and spraying,

duracoat can be a very good product, but it needs more prep time and work put into it than the basic instructions say ..

if you want duracoat to have the best overall finish you can get , you need to media blast the surface, then parkerize the metal, then duracoat, then let it cure for a bit ,

next best is media blasted surface, then duracoated, then cure for a bit ..

13. doc540

doc540

"if you want duracoat to have the best overall finish you can get , you need to media blast the surface, then parkerize the metal, then duracoat, then let it cure for a bit,"

Maybe I got rookie lucky when I did my first Duracoat job on my Agent.

The alloy frame was rough and porous, and the steel cylinder and barrel were unfinished.
    I guess that helped the process.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to media blast this next one and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  14. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

I talked to a rep and she said that on a glocks rough surface to just sand with 400-600 wet sand, and degrease. So thats what imma do.

15. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

Im just going to continue this thread and hopefully i get a response. My glock is now primary blue. And there are a few spots that i would like to touch up. It has only been 3 days since i duracoated this gun what do i need to do to spray over it again. Nothing? Sand it? Wait till it cures?

16. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

Well its done and back together. The color is way off from the website this is suppose to be primary blue. This is my Competition gun and i wanted somthing diffrent so here it is. Rear sight still needs pushed in too btw. My TruGrips should be showing up in the mail anyday aslo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

wow ..

you made it look like a training gun ?

dont know if that was the smartest thing you could have done ..

18. Sportsfame18

Sportsfame18

+1000

19. Jordan3206

Jordan3206

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

You definately can not go with the colors as viewed on the computer screen.

For what it's worth, and being it's a competition weapon,.... it looks good!
    I would just never want to get into a self-defense situation with it being that color.

But it looks like you did a nice job! :thumbsup: