DURACOAT for Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gl0ck19, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Gl0ck19

Gl0ck19

I recently came across Lauer Weaponry's page which sells DuraCoat, a coating system which allows you to apply different colours by yourself.

Im thinking of chroming my glock 19, but i am in malaysia where the firearm customization industry is basically ZIP(NONE). Therefore, i gotta do it on my own.

Has anyone had any experience with DuraCoat and is it as user-friendly as they claim it to be? I ordered an instructional DVD to learn more...

Appreciate any comments you fellow Glock'ers can extend.

Thanks

2. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

It's good for a PAINT. Don't expect it to wear real well like the stock or a chrome finish. Why don't you send the slide to the USA for chrome if that is what you really want.

3. vafish

vafish

I've Duracoated 2 guns.

A Mossberg 500 shotgun and a S+W Model 10 revolver.

So far the Revolver finish has held up very well, my son uses the gun in USPSA competitions with a kydex holster.

We had his shotgun and 2 of mine at Scout camp this summer, I had to leave the guns in the camps gun locker at the range. The camp was in a mountain valley and had a lake, lots of fog every morning. I went 2 days without oiling the guns up and my 2 blued shotguns were covered in a light coat of rust. My son's Duracoated gun was spotless.

Here are the guns after I finished them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I felt the LCW DVD was a bit of a disappointment. Not much more on it than what they have on their web site, very amateurish look and feel to the video.

4. Gl0ck19

Gl0ck19

[It's good for a PAINT. Don't expect it to wear real well like the stock or a chrome finish. Why don't you send the slide to the USA for chrome if that is what you really want.]

I would love to send it to the US, but it would take too long and the process would sure as hell be a real killer. In malaysia, to have a CCW permit is almost impossible to obtain unless you are a law enforcement or security company personnel. Most of the time, we are only allowed 1 firearm. Sucks doesn't it? So i can't live without my piece for a month or more!

Thanks for your suggestion though.

5. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

Tripp Research does them in less than 2 weeks I believe.

6. vafish

vafish

That doesn't include shipping time or the time your gun parts are held up in customs in either direction.

For the cost of international air freight he could just buy a new slide and have it hard chromed.

And I think the Duracoat wears better than the Glock black phosphate finish.

It's also very easy to reapply if it wears.

7. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

Oh, come on guys! The guy wants a chrome looking finish. The Glock "tenifer" puts chrome to shame! Take that black finish off and buff it and you will have a finish that is brite as chrome but is much tougher and corrosion resistant! No reason to send it anywhere or pay anyone. Just a little good metal polish and elbow grease will do it. Duracoat is good stuff, but totally unnecessary for a "chrome finish" on a Glock.

Ok... back to my hole......

8. kawiking

kawiking

in have my springfield 1911 slide at tripp as we speak. i m still thinking if i want to do my glock 23 slide in hard chrome.