close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Durability of two models

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by xRecon, Mar 10, 2011.

1. xRecon

xRecon Senior Member

G23 vs G19, both calibers .40, 9mm operate at the same pressure, although .40 with slightly more recoil. Which gun will survive to the higher round count? Do you think that the 19 will outlast the 23, because of the smaller round? Does the .40 cause more wear to the gun?

2. Toorop

Toorop

The Glock 19 will last longer simply because the .40 S&W puts more wear on the gun as you stated.

3. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded

You are more likely to get a higher round count with the G19 simply because ammo is cheaper. Unless you reload .40, factory non bulk ammo is about 1.5x more expensive for range ammo, on average. I really do not think you need to worry about frame wear on any Glock, considering Glock's frame replacement option for $150. By the time you reach that point from shooting, if you ever, a $150 frame replacement shouldn't really matter.

4. humphreys19

humphreys19

Either one will probably outlast the guy trying to wear them out!

Tom

5. Glock4President

Glock4President

Agreed.

6. tuf8seconds

tuf8seconds TEXAS COWBOY

The G19 (9mm), will last the longest....It's simple physics...The G19 (9mm), is forcing a smaller diameter projectile with less power....If the power was the same, the 9mm would still last longer due to less resistance in forcing the smaller diameter projectile out of the pistol which equates to less stress/strain on the pistol.....Now, y'all didn't know that Texans were that smart...Did Ya?????....That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!!

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

By the time you get to 200,000 one or both it may be your kids that are shooting it and by then $500 would have been well worth it.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

While Glock 9's are know to have a life of over 200,000 rounds, the Glock 40's life expectancy is shorter. Now if a Glock 40 lasted for only 50,000 rounds, that's still $15,000.00 worth of ammo fired through a $500.00 pistol. No room for complaints there. I do think the life expectancy of a Glock 40 may be closer to 100,000 rounds.

9. CBH

CBH

We still don't! :rofl:

(Just yankin your chain :supergrin:)

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

Going to tke a long time to wear either one out then send it to Glock for rebuild.:supergrin:

11. tuica

tuica

I have heard of shooting range Glocks (probably a 9mm with weaker target ammo) exeeding 400,000 rounds before major repair/replacement. But who knows? Anyone have any hard (or anecdotal) data source on this question?
    Cheers

12. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Yeah, I knew that, but I left there anyway. Darned wheat fires and locust kind of drove me north. But I enjoyed it while I lived there.
    S2

13. xRecon

xRecon Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess it's irrelevant, both will last quite some time.