close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Durability of Glock .40's

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ian111, Mar 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Ian111

Ian111

I know this topic has been often discussed here but this has been bothering me ever since I visited www.tacticaforums.com. Hilton Yam and another moderator over there named DocGKR often complain Glock .40's aren't good for 20,000 rounds and sometimes not even 10,000. Are these Glocks actually falling apart on them that they can't even get them fixed? Hard to believe. I love the G23 and the G27 and wouldn't give them up even if they only last 10,000 rounds;g They're compactness, shootability, and power is unparalleled among all other .40's IMO. I "know" it can't be THE RULE given the fact the FBI and numerous law enforcement agencies have tested them and are issuing these pistols en masse. I have yet to hear anything about durability issues from these agencies.

My fellow Glock .40 fans tell me some "facts" to ease my woes.;Q

2. cerberus

cerberus

I think any machine will have parts fail at some point in their life cycle. Any smart person would have their Glock or any other pistol inspected at say 5000 rounds fired. If wear or weakness is found on parts they need replacing. This is not to say every Glock owner is that smart.;Q

3. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

A fellow USPSA shooter claims to have over 80,000 major rounds shot through his G35. I asked about his recoil spring change schedule and he said that the recoil spring in his gun was original.

4. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

My dad works for the FBI and he and all the instructors agree that the .40 has no problems in the Glock. The FBI would be switching out of this gun if that were the case. My dad, brother, and myself all own G27's and have never had anything but sound functionability out of them. There is nothing to worry about. Most of the Glock I have shot were in .40 and had no problems at all. I would not hesitate to get a .40 caliber Glock.

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Got about 30K thru my G23 with one malfunction. The slide stop lever spring broke and locked the slide open.

I don't see any undue wear on the gun.

6. Ian111

Ian111

Do you know how many rounds an avg. agent shoots through his standard issue Glock? I understand the FBI adopted the pistol back in 1998? and its too soon to tell how they will hold up after 10-20 years. That is, if the FBI doesn't suddenly decide to switch (for no good reason IMO) to something else like they did with the SIG P228's.

7. marauder220

marauder220

I will offer my experiences on the G23. I have two now and have owned several more in the past. My dept uses it as standard issue. Every major dept I have had contact with also uses the G23/22 as standard. That being said, I recall Hilton having his slide lock spring break and his slide fell off. I have seen this happen as well, and the spring is like a $2.00 part and easily replaced. I have many of them as spare parts "just in case". I also prefer to run a 20-22lbs recoil spring in my G23's just as a precaution and to avoid excessive wear, etc. I have seen MANY G22's and G23's with over 10,000rnds through them, with regular spring changes about every 3,000rnds. The .40cal Glocks should in theory have a shorter life than the 9mm's since the .40's are built on 9mm sized weapons. I feel one step to making them last longer is using the heavier recoil spring. I also believe that some small-parts breakages will happen over time, and that a proper maintenance course can catch small problems before they become large ones. I feel that many people over at Tactical Forums seem to have an agenda against Glocks and a few other brands as well. They also seem to try and bend facts to suit their agenda.
    In short, a Glock 22 or 23 with quality ammunition, maybe a heavier recoil spring, and a solid maintenance routine i.e. every 3000rnds, will easily provide MUCH more than 20,000rnds of service.

8. 2240

PSSSSSSSSST, don't tell my G22 that. 22k plus and still going. Only had to replace the trigger return spring and extractor. Best $500 I had ever spent. Bet if I sell it tomorrow for $400 it'll be gone. Na, gettin' too attach to it.

9. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

My dad has had a G23 since '94 or '95 I believe... I will ask him, I know at least since '95. That is almost 10 years.

10. Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand No Way to Win

I used to work for an Austin Police Department Sarge who carried a G23 on and off duty and he had shot well over 5000 for qualification and practice when he first purchased it in a span of 3 days. Since then he has used the same G23 to this day and now has over 30K rounds through it, last time I chatted with him he has yet to experience any failures or encounter any parts that need replacing.

11. Morris

Morris CLM

I know Dr. Roberts and attended a lecture last year. I respectfully disagree with him. On a practical theory, yes, durability will be shortened by the greater pressures given by the forty. However, reality in the field falls short of that presumption. In that lecture, Dr. Roberts seemed to bedgrudgingly admit that for LE work, the .40 was an all around good round to use.

Yam is and continues to be biased against Glocks beyond the 17/19 series. That is fine, he's entitled to that. But with my duty issued G22 issued in 1997, bought in 1996 with 40K+ on the original frame, slide and barrel, perhaps I am the anonomaly. However, I don't think so.

Other than my gripping issue with my .40, I enjoy it as a powerful, reliable weapon that I don't fret over because the finish may get marred or a magazine gets broken. It's a tool and a good working one at that.

12. Old School

Old School

I have heard that the 155gr 'service' round is a little hard on all makes. If durability is a concern, mix in some 180gr FMJ.

I don't buy the bit about 40s having too much pressure - the firearm is designed to handle the pressure.

13. Britt

Britt What?

My 23 was made in 1996 and I really don't know how many rounds I have shot through it. All I can say is I have shot it more than any other gun I have ever owned. I have never had to replace anything but a weak mag spring and that was in a used preban mag I purchased. I have shot cheap ammo, every kind of JHP defensive round etc. The only problem I had was a failure to feed because of that weak mag spring.

James

14. macc53

macc53

I have a buddy that is a Glock armor for the local PD and he is the Wepons inst. We were talking one day and he said that he could have close to 100k in his 22.

So I could say that they can hold up for a long time!

Gary

15. KY23

KY23 GSSF IDPA

My numbers are no where close to any of you..but I have a little over 10,000 rounds through my 23 and no problems yet. This pistol has never even had a malfunction of any kind.

Looks brand new except for a bit of holster wear. I have changed the springs out several times but just as a precaution and not because of a breakage.

16. glockandme

glockandme

nearly 3,000 rounds, mostly reloads, in my all stock glock 22. After you put some oil on it, looks brand new!;f

17. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    I'd like to see first hand whatever problems destroy the G .40's like that, no slams at all- I just would like to know what would do that to a Glock.

These are pretty simple when it comes to maintenance. My favorite G .40 is a 2nd Gen G23 bought new in '91. You can see holster wear, but routine inspections, good ammo, and regular maintenance should keep this thing running about forever. I wouldn't be surprised if the 9mms do better though..... ;c

18. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt

Does anybody know off hand how many rounds Chuck Taylor has claimed to put through his Glock 23 without any problems? I don't remember the exact number off hand but I know he's fired more rounds than Clinton told lies! ;g

19. Ian111

Ian111

It just goes to show you how much these internet forums can influence my purchasing and trading decisions. I almost traded in my perfectly fine shooting G27 because some people had some problems with them (like all guns do, even the "best" ones). I went and re-read those posts over at www.tacticalforums.com again. These Glocks didn't shoot apart. They were all fixable. I shot another 100 flawless rounds through my G27 over the weekend. 1900 rounds and counting.

And Chuck Taylor's much publicized 100,000+ round Glock is the G17.

20. rhinoman

rhinoman

At least 10,000 rounds through my G22 haven't had any problems except with a magazine that I fixed with my channel lock pliers. Haven't changed any springs nothing. I carry a G23 and put a magazine through it each time I go to the range (2-3 x's a month).