Dunk-It Cleaners and Ultrasonic Baths...Do these Clean Well??

By Nalapombu, Apr 17, 2019 | |
Rating:
1.5/5,
  1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Nalapombu submitted a new Article:

Dunk-It Cleaners and Ultrasonic Baths...Do these Clean Well??

Read more about this article here...

2. 835mag

835mag

A good friend of mine who happens to have been a gunsmith for the last fifty years just bought an ultrasonic cleaner. He let me drop my 22/45 lite in it one day. This thing was gunked up to the point it would barely run. When it came out it was as clean as it could get. After we cleaned it we took it apart to install a Volquartsen trigger kit and every crevis and corner in that pistol was spotless. I almost felt bad shooting it again, I didn't want to get it dirty. I'm considering buying a smaller one just big enough to put pistols in.

3. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

I have a cheap ultra sonic from Harbor Freight.

Works great on dirty and greasy stuff. Struggles a little with heavy carbon.

4. fx77

fx77 CLM

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Ultrasonic cleaners are great at loosening all the crud in a gun. I still take them apart though. If you drop a gunked up pistol in the ultrasonic and loosen everything up, it's still inside the gun. It's not really "clean" yet. The dip style buckets aren't nearly as effective.

6. OXMYX

OXMYX

Putting your gun in an ultrasonic cleaner is like washing your favorite cast iron skillet with hot water, soap and a scratch pad.

Joshhtn, 1eyedjack01 and -JCN- like this.
  7. jhc37013

jhc37013

I understand why a gun range who rents 20 guns would want one but why would a regular Joe with a couple dirty guns need one? You still need to disassemble to do a final cleaning or at the very least to lube the gun properly. Im just not into dunking and soaking all my parts including expensive night sights into a cleaning solution, in fact I cringe at the thought.

MacDonald and R_P_K_ like this.
  8. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I use my ultrasonic to clean my suppressor (Liberty Mystic X) and it does a great jib but I still need to use a separate mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (50/50) to remove the lead buildup.

I like mine.

9. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

A whole gun? Or gun parts? It can easily damage a cylinder on a 340PD or other ultralight or some anodized aluminum or coated titanium parts, etc. But it is perfectly safe for gun barrels, small parts, springs, and such. It can easily clean places a brush cannot touch.

I have a lab-grade ultrasonic cleaner and don't use it often, but when I want to clean something really well, it is fantastic!

But some parts are simply NOT meant to be put into the tank or exposed to some types of cleaners (anodized aluminum and some cleaners are not friends!).

Jewelry, tools, watch bands, small engine parts, and many other things do benefit from a good ultrasonic cleaning!

PRE-K and Steel & Wood like this.
  10. BelieveNglocK

BelieveNglocK

I heard they are great but if you have a firearm with painted lettering from the factory or you put on, it can remove that. I passed on putting my HK VP9 since it has factory lettering.

Corey043 and MacDonald like this.
  11. OXMYX

OXMYX

As typical with Germans HK has procedures in their manuals on which oil to use, where to use it and when. There is no guess work.

"Note: All parts of the USP Pistol can be immersed in any cleaning solvent that it is safe to put your hands into, including ultrasonic cleaning solution. Use of ultrasonic cleaning machines can result in the unwanted removal of colored reference markings of the frame, extractor, and control lever (where applicable).

No heavy lube is required on USP Pistols
    Reapply lubricant periodically during firing as it burns off from the heat. Apply lubricant using a clean shaving brush, cotton swabs, patches, or rag. A spray bottle of lubricant also works well when using compressed air to circulate the lubricant into all parts and to remove the excess from the pistol."

Velvetfoot and BelieveNglocK like this.
  12. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Those types of cleaning systems are beneficial for guns that get quite a bit of use and have hard-to-clean areas where carbon builds up, but not for every cleaning session just because someone is lazy. The thing to worry about is anything that uses a system or solvents that suck the lube out of the metal. The weapon must be re-lubed or bad things could happen to brittle metal.

13. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt Millennium Member

I also bought a inexpensive ultrasonic from harbor freight, tried this on a whim.
    I was VERY surprised put a bunch of parts in there and just using simple green the parts came out great. Any thing that needed some more help I just ran the cycle twice. From a huge skeptic to a true believer they do work. The one I bought at HF was only $75 and with their coupons brought it down even more. The simple green concentrate I got from Wally World.

'Ol Grandad, B C and Steel & Wood like this.
  14. CAcop

CAcop

We have one at work. I use it for pistol barrels and AR BCGs. Takes a lot of the scrubbing time off. Ours are in heavy use so there can be a lot of particles on the bottom that can sandblast the finish off but we are talking about dozens of guns over months of time. A single user isn't going to have problems.

I just use Ed Red minus the acetone for plastic wads in barrels. I don't shoot my shotguns enough to justify it. I just let my M66 sit in it rather than scrub the heck out of it.

15. insanity.

insanity. CLM

I have been doing it for the last 2-3 cleanings and works pretty well. I use the PRO HD version of Simple Green which is the purple stuff. I go about 75% simple green, 25% water in this machine https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html. (Dont forget to print your 20% off coupon before you go)

Im usually cleaning 3 guns at a time so basically strip one down (mainly for inspection/drying purposes) and put it in the bath. It runs for 8 minutes while I'm stripping the others 2. I rinse the cleaned parts off with water and dry them and then oil and assemble. The only thing I use my old cleaning products on is the barrel. The ultrasonic does clean it about 80% but you can still see buildup around the ramp and sometime junk in the tube.

16. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Hmm...I may have to buy one, might cut down on my cleaning time for my AR BCGs..

17. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt Millennium Member

I was VERY skeptical as most are, my first gun in the tank was a 44 mag Desert Eagle. Not all at once. But broken down. For those who may not know the desert eagle is a gas operated pistol and has many similar parts to your conventional AR. Rotating bolt, lots of places were carbon builds up. It really did a heck of a darn good job cleaning it .

Cambo and pag23 like this.
  18. CAcop

CAcop

Totally worth it if you are going to put a few thousand rounds before cleaning and you don't have much lube before shooting it.

Up until recently our patrol rifles were pool guns. On training days we would grab a few guns from the rack and have 40 to 50 people shoot them after they were last lubed months before. Then get put away for the next week and 40 to 50 more people. Each person shooting at least a few hundred rounds.

Throw it in the tank for 20 to 30 miniutes while scrubbing the barrel and chamber. By that time a few q tips take care of the rest. Air or blow dry then lube.

pag23 likes this.
  19. PRE-K

PRE-K

That sounds absolutely awful.

I shot a batch of my (previous) agency's issued rifles when I started as one of the instructors... 3 of the 5 I sampled printed 18" high at 50 yards. 1 1/2 freaking feet!

The rifles, as delivered from the OEM, had the front posts screwed ALL the way down, and nobody ever bothered to sight them in. They had been carried that way for YEARS.

Blew my mind.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  20. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

I have always wondered...could you just dunk the frame in Kerosene, shake well and let dry?
    Anyone tried this?