close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dumbell shoulder press dilema.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, May 1, 2006.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Is there a secret to getting the dumbells into position for seated shoulder presses?

I'm getting up to weights that I can't physically get into position. The technique I'm using now is to stand over the bench seat and swing/curl the weight into position and then quickly sit down. But it is pretty akward and dangerous too. I'm not too keen on curling 80lb dumbells into position. It's torture on the arms and back.

And I work out very early and the only other people at the gym are the older crowd doing cardio, so I can't really ask for someone to hand me the dumbells.

I've resorted to doing standing barbell presses, but prefer the free-er movement of dumbells.

Any suggestions?

2. The Goose

The Goose

Heavy dumbell presses get pretty dicey if you work out alone. I used to train in a powerlifting gym and when one started to get in the 80 - 90 lb range someone always handed them to you and spotted you. It is not just getting the DB's into position, but also controlling them when you are done. Hitting failure with 100 lbs in each hand could be dangerous.

Having said that there are a type of hooks that attach to DB's, they get velcro'd in place. The hooks fit over a barbell shaft that is set up in a power rack or squat frame. I bought a set for my home gym back when I was lifting heavy. These hooks allow you to do DB bench or overhead presses from a high start position. You just lift then off of the bar and when you are done with the set you (try) to hook them back on the bar. Since you work out in a commercial gym this may not be viable, but it is the only set up I have found to deal with heavy dumbells. If this interests you I will find mine and see if I can remember where I got them. I believe they ran $50 - $60.

Just checked. They are called Power Hooks. Go to WWW.MonsterMuscle.com.

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Goose...

I have seen those Power Hook's, and they seem like a great idea.

I'm just not sure if my gym would allow them. I'll have to ask them. If they're cool maybe they'll even spring for a pair.

I'll just have to stick with the barbell for now. I've been using dumbells for quite a while now anyways. It must be working, because my barbell presses have gone up in weight too.;)

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Sig Klein said clean and press 75 pound dumbells for 12 reps was something accomplished by few lifters in N. Amer. Not sure why you can't do the press standing up and clean it first. Heck, clean every rep and double your fun. Here's a link..... http://www.brookskubik.com/oldtimers_secret.html

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

That is pretty close to what I was doing. But I also sat down in one fast motion too.

I never tried dumbell presses while standing. I like the added stability of the seated position, plus it's more strict.

Maybe I'll give it a shot though!

6. The Goose

The Goose

I used to love to read Brooks Kubik's articles in Hardgainer magazine. I always thought he had a great approach to practical strength training. Yeah, and I'll bet that 12 reps with 75 lb DB's is close to impossible for most. Certainly is for me, but maybe I will start working in that direction. Clean & press every rep, OUCH!

7. California Jack

Too bad Brooks has become everything he used to tell us to run away from. He's a snake oil salesman.

Jack

8. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Jack, why do you say that?

9. California Jack

10. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Interesting Jack. I have Dino Training and have found it to be useful. Pricey yes, but useful.

11. California Jack

DT is a good book. When Brooks first came out with his new body weight couse, he was charging something around $800. Of course, that included a years subscription to his super secret inner room chat room or whatever it is.