close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dumb/strange question but....

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Dec 6, 2002.

1. noway

noway

How do you get the meat and other items off of a Wild Boar skull?

I had a request from a Santero Priest to provide a undamage skull of a boar.So I'm thinking ahead do I boil it ( don't have a pot big enough for it ) or do I leave it in the field and hope for the ant & other small rodents/insects to cleaa it for me ( have no clue as to how long this would take ).

Before I get dog'd out, I'm serious and no I'm not worshiper of the saints.

"Santeria"

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i've done this with smaller animals to get stuff for the biology lab in high school. i made up a wooden box out of plywood. the top screwed on but had a few 3/4" slits router into it and a couple ont he sides. i then buried it with the lid sticking up out of the ground. toss in dead animal and wait. it will take a few days for the flies and other crawlies to find it, but the box helps keep things like 'coons and coyotes from dragging it away. worked well for squirrels, rabbits and birds.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

BTW i did this over the summer in OH where it was hot, humid and the bugs were plentiful. might not work if it's too cold for the crawlies.

4. noway

noway

Will I'm in a very hot humid area called "South Fla " & I'm pretty sure I can find bugs & flies and other insects. The box sounds like the key.About how long did it take after the bugs/ants and others got hold of the animal to get it pretty well clean? I'm just trying to get most of the material off the skull and my friend can finish it off their after.

thnks

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

once the maggots got in 'em in was a couple weeks and they were mostly cleaned. ants finished up the rest of it. there was still stuff hanging on the bones, but i let the biology teacher take care of that. not sure what he did. i would think a spray washer or good hose would work on the skull at that point.

if you have fire ants in your area, put it near them. i watched them clean out a pigeon in a couple hours.

6. noway

noway

thank and yes I can't walk more than 2 blocks without tripping over a fire ant mound.

I'll let you know how it comes out. I have to get this skull out of the garage to a vacant field, it's begining to stink very bad.

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

cool. i wouldn't mind having one myself. i have a 'yote skull that i found in the desert. a boar skull would be really cool. i really want a mtn lion skull. i've been getting tags for them for the past 2 years, but all i've seen is tracks.

maybe i'll get lucky when i'm calling coyotes.

8. noway

noway

{ i really want a mtn lion skull. }

I bet the mtn lion is saying the same thing about you (joke). Don't loose you're head.

9. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

hehehe mtn lions are the only animals in north america that give me the willies. actually the only animals that give me concern in the world are the large cats. forget the bears, i'm worried about the lions and tigers ;f

their speed combined with their power is just an awesome combo. this is one of those "face your fears" type of things.

plus the pelt would be beautiful i'm sure.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey Noway.....

Good to hear from ya.
    Boil the skull my friend.. then minor clean up, then put it in bleach, then wash it off.

CanyonMan

11. Kilgor

Kilgor American Millennium Member

Skull on a fireant mound, upside-down 5 gallon bucket on skull, large rock on 5 gallon bucket. After that boil and soak in bleach as needed.

12. noway

noway

Thanks,

I wish I had that info before buying the materials for box.

Canyonman the skull ( complete ) will not fit in my stainless 16qt pot. I guess I could boil it with one side down ( rear) for awhile and them flip it over to get nose end.

The 5gallon pot sounds good and I have a ant hill scoped out just for this purpose.

13. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

One of my high school teachers collected skulls. He had some flesh eating beetles that he'd drop into the container, they'd clean it up in a few days.

14. hank_rearden

hank_rearden Polyhistor

i read two ways to get a complete skeleton (don't sk where i got it if you're squishy):

1. the slower method - immerse the whole carcass (or just the head) in concentrate lye solution like NAOH or something. alkali will dissolve skin, flesh, fat, hair and ligaments. this will take at least 8 hours just for the head. after this, immerse in gasoline to neutralize the alkali and to clean the skeleton.

2. the quicker way - boil the thing in a low fire (like making pig's knuckle) until everything: skin, meat, ligaments, etc. slide off when you lift a bone. scrape off all traces of flesh (sticky and messy) and then immerse in gasoline to clean the remaining bone.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Quote..."Canyonman the skull ( complete ) will not fit in my stainless 16qt pot. I guess I could boil it with one side down ( rear) for awhile and them flip it over to get nose end....'end qoute.'

if you cannot find a biger bucket.. go for as above..
    Home depot should have a real cheap galvenized tub, the hole thing will fit in.. "Boil & Bleach!"

Have fun buddy!

CanyonMan

16. EricTheRed

EricTheRed

I had to clean em before for bio-classes, etc... We just took a bucket, kept pouring boiling water into the bucket (didn't have a pan big enough either). As long as you add hot water to it now and then to keep the temp up, it should be fine. Everything basically falls off the bones after awhile. The remainders were cleaned off with a small brush and dentist pick type instrument. The bones were then submerged in bleach to finish cleaning and disinfecting everything. Worked very well. Took about 8 hours total.

Oh yeah, haven't tried it before, but I imagine you could probably set the thing in some hot ashes, and just let the flesh burn off. Not sure how hard cleaning off all the carbon would be though. I would imagine letting it sit in water / bleach solution would do the job though. Boiling might be safer for the skull.

17. hoagie55

hoagie55

Once you have cleaned it as much as [possible, try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide. That should take off all of the microscopic meat particles that diodn't come off with the water/bug treatment. Good luck!

18. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Talk to your local taxidermist. I'll bet he can help.

19. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I've used the boil it then scrape it method many times on bears and wolves.

I hear you can put the skull in an old onion sack and hang it in the ocean and the sand fleas will clean it (never tried it).

Or just ship it to theses guys.
    http://skullsunlimited.com/