Dumb people and their phones.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fxstchewy, Oct 22, 2019.

1. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

Sitting here on GT and my phone starts ringing, not thinking i answered it and someone yells...WHO IS THIS! well in this day and age there is no excuse for not knowing who you are calling so I ask...who are you wanting? I get no response so i hang up and hit BLOCK.
    Not a fan of the yelling.

Intolerant, NMG26 and mj9mm like this.
  2. varget

varget

cell phones are often more of a nuisance and danger(while driving for example)than they are worth...............except when you really need them.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

sounds like a prank call,,, unless its someone with anger issues...

Intolerant likes this.
  4. rogn

rogn real dogs

Id have to guess what you ran into was a normal person who had their phone number "spoofed" by one of the slime layer robo-callers. They were just trying to find out what creep had called with some invasive message.

Just wish there was some way to return call with the concussive note of a 357 firing BlueDot.

5. DAKA

DAKA

When I got my first "cell phone" late 70's(?) a "Bag" phone,it weighed about 10 pounds was the size of an "Attache" case and was Analog....cost $2500...
    It was very handy....and a great novelty....n
    Now, a major PIA.. Its like a leash anyone who wants to talk to you, calls and gets annoyed at you if you see who it is and don't feel like talking to them RIGHT NOW.
    It's no longer for YOUR CONVENIENCE...but for every fool who basically is bored and wants so talk..........
    RANT OVER

bandsaw, snappy, jmohme and 1 other person like this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I started using the function that puts all non-recognized calls right to voice mail, it really changes the volume of calls that ring the phone.

Right now, we are building a house, so I have to be fairly diligent getting the voice mails that do get left as some of the calls are contractors or suppliers with questions.

cbetts1 and bandsaw like this.
  7. DonD

DonD

Occasionally, I get a call on the landline asking to speak to so and so and I say no such person lives here. Then they get annoyed as if somehow, they think I'm lying to them.

So I say we've had this number since this house was built 8 yrs ago, no such person. Some then are still huffy and hang up, others say sorry. Don

8. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

A couple of years ago we moved from another state. We never got around to to changing our phone numbers to a local area code. This has turned out to be a blessing. Anytime we see our old area code we ignore the call. If it happens to be a valid call, the caller will leave a voice mail.

pgg00, 1L26, Tickhill and 2 others like this.
  9. Dave514

Dave514

The spoof thing is what I was also thinking. However, "who is this?" would not be the proper address in that situation either.

It's been awhile since I've had a "Who is this?" but I just say "wrong number" and hang up. Anyone who starts with "Who is this?" definitely has the wrong number.

NMG26 likes this.
  10. Duke45Big

Duke45Big All anti-gunner stink worse than filled diapers.

Back in the day used to get calls like who is this? I would hang up. Then hit * 45 call back that number ask for Mike reply no Mike here. Do this about 4 times. Last call to them I would say that this is Mike was there any calls for me. I wish I could see the look on their faces!

11. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

This^^

12. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

If I got a call with somebody yelling "Who is this?", I would say "This is the White House. Who do you want to speak to?" LOL

13. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

When it's a slow day at the office, I like to pick up the telemarketing calls to my cell and answer "This is the Sheriffs office, fraud department". Other times I will pretend to have a heavy duty Asian accent, and play along with them. When we get to my name, I tell them it's John Suckamybutt. The best part is spelling out the last name for them with that ridiculous accent.

It's probably only funny to me, but I thought I would share.

OGW, jcullen, porschedog and 3 others like this.
  14. Resqu2

Resqu2

I gets calls saying that hey I missed your call, wondering who you are, what did you need. Some don’t know about spoofing and some don’t believe you and I think it can be a jealous husband type situation sometimes. I’m sure that’s what happened to the op.

15. jmohme

jmohme

That would be fun, but all of the spam calls I get are made by machines, not humans.

rock_castle likes this.
  16. Slackinoff

If you want to play, keep listening. They will tell you to push 2 or something to speak with a "representative".

I know, it's pretty juvenile.... but at least I can admit that.

Resqu2 likes this.
  17. bandsaw

bandsaw

I also hate Texting! People always text me. To me, it means your message to me is not important. If it's Important, pick up the phone and call me rather than send me pages of texts. Not a fan of the damn phone anyway.

jcullen and Intolerant like this.
  18. bandsaw

bandsaw

Now, this I would like. How do you find this function on an Iphone?

WeeWilly likes this.
  19. Slackinoff

On the other hand, if everyone started wasting these scammers time with a "John Suckamybutt" bit, we could probably put them out of business. It's time to fight back my friends.

larry_minn and Resqu2 like this.
  20. flyover

flyover

Many years ago, a city north of me had a large number of those with dutch ancestry. They were well known for answering the the phone in this way.

"Hello, this is me. Is statue? Say the last part fast and it makes sense.

Slackinoff likes this.