Duluth attorney receives probation in drug case

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Aug 8, 2018.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    A prominent Duluth defense attorney will spend two years on supervised probation after pleading guilty to a felony drug charge.

David Keegan, 66, appeared for sentencing Tuesday in State District Court in Park Rapids, Minn., two months after he entered the plea to a charge of third-degree possession of a controlled substance.

time, and Keegan will be eligible to have the record expunged if he complies with all conditions of supervision.
    The Duluth Police Department and Lake Superior Drug and Violent Crime Task Force executed a search warrant at Keegan's Skyline Parkway home in February, seizing than 100 doses of opioid medication and over 350 sedative pills, among other controlled substances.

Keegan, who has practiced law in Northeastern Minnesota for 40 years and has no prior criminal history, apologized in a letter to the judge.
    "Being a criminal defendant in the Minnesota court system is a most humbling experience," he wrote. "It is not the way I would elect personal humility, but I certainly am humbled by the terrible combination of criminality, stupidity and addiction. Yet, it may have been a blessing in disguise because this difficult intervention quite likely saved my life."
    Keegan wrote in the statement that a sports injury lead him to the "sadly well-known progressive story of addiction." After the police search, he said he immediately entered the Hazelden Foundation treatment program in the Twin Cities and continues in aftercare.

"It goes to show that addiction is an equal opportunity destroyer," Keegan wrote. "If anything good can come out of my difficult experience, I hope it is a cautionary tale to others who are struggling to find recovery before they reach a crisis point, or God forbid, death."
    The case was heard in Hubbard County, in Northwestern Minnesota, at the order of Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Lorie Gildea. It was handled by a special prosecutor, Washington County Attorney Pete Orput.
    Orput told the News Tribune in June that he was not familiar with Keegan before accepting the case and that he offered the attorney a standard agreement for similarly situated defendants.
    "Putting an addict in a cage doesn't make me safer," he said at the time. "Getting an addict treatment makes me safer."

The only issue for Tiffany to decide Tuesday was whether to place Keegan on two or three years of supervised probation. Defense attorney John Hughes argued that his client has already faced a significant financial burden in seeking treatment, as well as disruption to his practice and damage to his reputation through publicity of the case.

In a separate civil action stemming from the criminal case, Keegan is also facing the forfeiture of nearly $31,000 and 47 firearms.
    "We're not asking the court to feel sorry for Mr. Keegan," Hughes wrote in a letter to the judge. "He is painfully well aware that each of these consequences is a direct impact of his own decisions and behavior. We simply request an objective determination from the court that a two-year probationary period is sufficient."
    Keegan continues to practice law and has not faced any public discipline. Susan Humston, director of the Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility, which is housed at the state Supreme Court, said her agency does review criminal charges but generally waits for the case to conclude before considering any action.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...-duluth-attorney-receives-probation-drug-case
    ------------------------------

:faint:

Sent from my Jackboot using Tapatalk

2. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

He got off lucky , should have been charged with distribution . In Indiana he would be toast

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Sounds like a depressed old guy who posed about as much harm to society as an alcoholic.

Cpt.J and cbetts1 like this.
  4. HonkeyFries

HonkeyFries

People are killed by alcoholics every day.

TBO likes this.
  5. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Local PD got some good guns....seriously though, glad he got treatment Opioid addiction is very real, and everywhere it seems today

TBO likes this.
  6. DonD

DonD

A bit conflicted here. Am tending to lean toward saying he should keep a felony conviction on his record and some jail time.

Supervised probation is a slap on the wrist. Seems likely that the sentence was less harsh as the system was dealing with one of their own, if so, not right. Don

TBO likes this.
  7. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert

This junky should be Disbarred and spend a year in prison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBO likes this.
  8. equin

equin

He most likely will get disbarred. This tends to underscore just how real and devastating the opioid epidemic has become when it ensnares an accomplished professional well into his 60's.

9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble FullClip CANT BREATHE!!!!!

I'm absolutely shocked that an attorney would break the law.

As for the drugs, "100 doses of opioid medication and over 350 sedative pills", might not be all that much depending on the strength of what was found. 100 Lortab 5's is nothing compared to 100 Roxi 30's.

10. SRS

SRS

Why should he have been charged with distribution? I didn’t see anything that suggested that he was in the business of dealing.

11. faceplant

faceplant

As long as this is the "standard agreement" I have no issue with it. I have my doubts though.

TBO likes this.
  12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

If you actually dig into how infrequently attorneys are disbarred you'd be both surprised and upset.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

13. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

100 rounds of ammo.
    :)

14. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

...on the wall, take one down pass it around...

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

G33 likes this.
  15. Cpt.J

Cpt.J

Especially when doctors tell they patients, " take as prescribed and you won't have any problems."
    RIGHT!!! Then tells the patient, " make sure you make your next appointment so I can give you a refill." These are the REAL Dealers. The patient many times isn't even aware that her or she is drug dependent or is an addict.
    Has anyone ever had to go to a pain management clinic? It's the Street corner of Legal Distribution.
    Don't get me wrong. Opioids do have a place for treating certain Medical Conditions.
    Bottom line, " we go to doctors so they can Cure us not Kill us."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. Cpt.J

Cpt.J

Because they were all prescribed to him. Do the math 4 tablets a day times 90 days is 360 tablets. Could have been mail order script the doctor called in to his pharmacy. Its a normal medical procedure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

17. SRS

SRS

I’m not following you. Are you suggesting that he should be charged for distribution because he got a prescription from a doctor?

18. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Did you even read the article ? The large amount of pills he had would easily warrant that

19. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

He should be disbarred.

20. SRS

SRS

I did read the article. And as best I can tell, you totally made up that possession of the pills would “easily warrant” a distribution charge. It’s certainly not the law in most states and not the law in MN based on a quick search. If your claim is based on an actual law and not your personal views, I’d be happy to reconsider.