close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DUI on Lawnmower on private property.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hamster, Mar 22, 2010.

1. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I'd like to get a feel for what you all think about this. I recently had a chance to listen to a former police officer talk about some of his "war stories." Overall his stories were great and showed he really took pride in his work, but one thing really disgusted me and I wanted to share it with you.

He said one day he was on patrol and spotted a fellow sitting on his riding lawnmower drinking a beer. Now mind you, the lawnmower guy in question was riding on his own property on a Sunday afternoon with no indication from the cop that he was doing anything unsafe... other than holding an open container of beer.

The police officer proudly told us about how he arrested the "offender" and charged him with DUI.

Now I'm a staunch believer in getting drunk drivers off the roads, but I just felt that it is going a bit too far to try to ruin someone's life for having a beer while mowing their lawn. Worse, being proud of that "accomplishment."

What say you?

2. JW1178

JW1178

One sorry *** cop. He is an example of why there is so much crime. What a piece of crap. Did he get picked on every day at school and now he's going to get everyone back?

The LEO should have been arrested for illegal trespass.

3. RichJ

RichJ

I call BS. No way that stands in court. He broke no law even if he was s**t-faced drunk.

4. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

I would like to know what state that this happened in, and although he may have issued a DUI on the scnece, it may have been dropped by the DA if the lawnmowerman had some $$ for a good attorney.

5. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I used to do it all the time back in the day.

6. PBCounty

PBCounty

He'd be a busy cop around here. Everyone is drinking when riding their lawn mowers.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

There's got to be more to it than that or I'd think there would be one big law suit, in most states.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I don't drink but I always thought that's how most guys mow their lawn on a weekend.:supergrin:

9. CAcop

CAcop

1) Does the lawnmower qualify as a motor vehicle in that state's vehicle code? IF it does then all of the vehicle code applies to it.

2) Does the vehicle code allow enforcement of DUI on private property in that state?

As for CA I am sure about #2 applying for DUI on private property. I am not sure about the lawnmower being a motorvehicle. Of course it could fall under the bicycle section for DUI.

10. DougC

DougC

Wow, that's one hell of a "bust" to be proud of, NOT! Talk about being a grade A d@&k!

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

He wouldn't even need a good atty, a Public Defender would get that dismissed.

12. JW1178

JW1178

By law, I could get drunk as hell and get in my car and drive all over my yard all I wanted to and the law can't do squat except I could understand someone pulling me out of the vehicle because they think I just went nuts, which I would have, but I don't see anything LEGAL they could do.

13. RioKid

RioKid

If the cop really did that out of arrogance I would say he is a jerk. In some cities, however, it is a misdemeanor to have an open container in veiw of the public, even on your own property. This may be the case here if the cop saw lawnmower man as he was cruising the streets while on patrol. If so, he may have written him a ticket. I doubt he arrested him and charged him with DUI, unless lawnmower man had a habit of getting drunk while mowing and then taking off down the street on his mower.:dunno:

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

If you tell me your state I can find a statue to prove you wrong... :)

'Drew

...if I had the inclination, desire or time.

15. RichJ

RichJ

Don't waste any more time on this thread, it's total BS. The cop is a d-bag for even spewing that garbage story.

16. PBCounty

PBCounty

At what point does traffic law apply to private property?

17. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

I highly doubt this.

What happens if someone looks into the window of a restaurant and sees you drinking a beer?

18. ray9898

ray9898

GA, for example, has a few traffic laws that apply on private property. DUI, reckless driving, vehicular homicide and all the hit and run type laws.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  19. crazyrec12

crazyrec12 cornbread

20. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Sorry I've been away from the computer for a bit. The story in place took place somewhere in Northeastern Ohio. The fellow told us he had been a cop in a number of different Cleveland area (suburb) communities for years. I don't remember which community he said it was in specifically. Plus, I really don't want to get too detailed here in case the cop is a member here. In general he was a great guy, did a nice job with his talk etc. Just that one thing really made me upset.

He told us that he got him because a lawnmower is considered to be a motor vehicle. I just thought it was a bit much.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010