DUI?Military.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by drider, Feb 21, 2010.

1. drider

drider

Hi all, I'm going to keep this simple someone that I am very close to just finished basic for the national guard military, and the day before graduation he got a pulled over, blew over the legal limit of .08 bac and got arrested for DUI. He planned on being a Military Police and joining a local police dept since he'll be working only a weekend out of the month. Further, I was wondering what kind of punishment he will receive from the national guard military? And, what do you think about the future of this individual who had just finished his basic training in Missouri , and planned on being a Military Police in the Guard and trying to get hired for a local PD?

2. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I think he's toast,

bad judgment on his part

3. dakrat

dakrat

His dream to be Police Officer might be over if he gets "dishonorable discharge" from the military.

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

A Dishonorable requires a General Court Martial and an Article 15 seems more likely for a first offense but he probably screwed up his MP schooling. I can't see a DUI indicating to the National Guard that he is fit to be an MP.

5. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

Sorry, all I could think was "WTF? they get to drive and drink in Basic now?!?!"

I didn't get to do any of that fun stuff until I was a good 8 months into the army!

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

That's going to leave a mark.

7. Fugitive74

Fugitive74

At .08 he might want to try to make a deal with the prosecutor for a reduced charge, maybe something along the lines of careless driving. Still might get some heat from the military but probably nothing serious.

8. prism

prism more ammo

I doubt they will send him to MP school now.

maybe they will train him in something else.

9. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

If you werent on active duty, the guard unit wont do anything. As far as MP school goes, they may still send you....I worked with a few MP's that had prior DUI's.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I took it he was on active duty- "just finished basic for the national guard military, and the day before graduation he got a pulled over."

If he gets a DUI conviction, he better start thinking about something other than law enforcement. Maybe if he spends some time on active duty and tries again in 10 years he can get on some small department if he is really qualified in every other way.

I knew a guy who got a DUI right before graduating from college with a police administration degree. After a few years he got a small town job, using a political connection, but he never really got anywhere.

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

About every other class in flight school had someone get busted for DWI/DUI within the last week before getting their wings. This was after a year of training and close to a million dollars spent on that training.

Each and every one of them was shipped back to their unit at their former rank and I never heard of one being promoted beyond that.

Your friend made a really, REALLY bad judgment call that does bring into question his ability to perform as a cop and may very well have just ended his possibility. That's my guess.

12. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I can't speak to the NG part of it but I have a very good friend that got a DUI while in college. He went on to become a police officer and is now a firearms instructor for that same department 14 years later. A DUI won't necessarily wreck his career. As a friend though, I would encourage you to have a stern talk with him and get it across that this is a one-time deal and that it can never happen again.

Oh, and FWIW, I think the .08 BAC level is a ridiculous joke designed to prosecute anyone that has had a drink.

Greg

13. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

No they can not drive. There is some part of the story that we are not getting here.

NONE of the local car renal agencies around Ft. Leonard Wood will rent a car to an IET Soldier.

My guess is he graduated from Basic and was about to start AIT and he somehow rented a car.

or

SOMEHOW he was finishing AIT the next day and was driving.

However it happened he will get an Article 15 and he will not graduate.

14. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Never Blow until your Attorney says it's ok!!!

My brother didn't (while in the Army) blow and received a reduced sentence with 50 hrs community service. It did not affect his rank (other than holding up his E5 promotion board review) or his security clearance.

Now, I'm not saying he isn't a jerk or completely at fault for what happened, HE IS. He just asked for advice and took it to heart when needed.

Good luck to your friend! I hate to see careers wrecked at a young age due to stupidity. But when people learn that actions have consequences they tend to have a grown up a little.

15. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

Any deal he makes with the prosecutor (if this happened off post) has no bearing on the Army's response to a DUI. He blew over the legal limit so even before conviction he will receive a General Officer Letter of Reprimand and his on-post driving privileges will be revoked for an entire year. Kind of hard to train him as an MP if he is not allowed to drive on post.

16. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

It would be rediculous for him to arrest someone for an offense he himself commits. He should be toast!!

17. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

Worst advise ever, in MN you refuse to test, automatic 1 yr loss of drivers license, I think other states are similar. Refusal to take a test (blood, breath, urine) is a crime in itself. Many times a DUI happens after business woring hours for an attorney. Do you really think because your attorney does not answer the phone, you can skip out on the test:steamed:

18. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

He should have stayed away from Big Louies!

A big part of how this will effect his career is going to be if he was on post or off. If he was off post it usually has less effect, due to the way the system is set up. Unfortunately with him being in school he does not have the freedom to work the system without his Command being involved. If he was assigned there (PCS) there is a chance he could resolve the situation without the Command knowing; that would limit the effect on his Military career. It would probably cost him about $10k for the lawyer though.

For a new soldier it can go both ways on post. They could end his service (and kill any chance he'd have of joining a Police force), or they could keep him on with a big black mark on his record.

Either way, he's just seriously effected his lifetime earnings potential.

19. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

The guard is generally more lenient. It's a career ender in the army, and almost zeroes out any chance of being a cop afterward.

20. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Any DUI while in the military will get you double. You get the civilian punishment then you'll get the military punishment. That early in his (Your) enlistment will usually get you a discharge.