close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duel boot WinXP and Linux Suse 10.0

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tanman, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Tanman

Tanman

I just picked up a linux mag with a free copy of Linux Suse 10.0. I would like to duel boot my laptop with it. Any good guides out there?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It's easy to mess up your Windows XP.Back up everything you want to keep.Safest to get a small second hard drive for Linux.Safer than trying to resize Windows.

3. Tanman

Tanman

Well I just reformated the windows machine so there really isn't all that much to loose. Is it stable to run a duel boot like this?

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yes a it should be plenty stable.I've been running Windows and Linux on the same PC for 4-5 years now.This one has two hard drives but that soesn't matter.My other shares one hard drive and has been going for almost three years.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

How big is your hard drive and how much memory do you have?

6. Tanman

Tanman

80gb and 1 gb

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Okay that gives you plenty of space.Suse should have some defaults for sizing the Linux partitions.

8. Tanman

Tanman

What about drivers? Gateway doesn't offer a linux driver for anything.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Most all the drivers are included with Suse Linux.

10. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

if they're gonna duel, my money is on Linux!

11. nickg

nickg

i put Linspire on a 2nd HD on my desktop system. i didn't want to partition the one drive and would rather have 2 drives/2 different systems anyway and never the twain shall meet. don't have to worry about a drive cackin' out and losing everything. at least i'll still have an operating system if one drive dies.

12. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

FWIW, I always use a second HDD with at least three partitions on it; one for /root, one for /home and a 1024MB swapfile part.

I then install GAG to boot them.

13. Tanman

Tanman

Well I went ahead and loaded it on a totally seperate machine at work. Now I want to load it on my file server at the house. Currently it runs a XP home and all it does all day is sit and download stuff from various programs, records TV and stores it to a 250gb HD. I have moved all the valuble stuff to another machine and now I want to put linux on it. My question is network wise will linux and windows talk?

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yes.That can work.The Linux Microsoft network program is SAMBA.You set up a SAMBA server on the Linux machine and the Linux and the Windows can share data and talk to each other.It should be included in Suse or should be able to download it for free.

15. Tanman

Tanman

Well I am taking the machine from work home and if I get her to work I will do my file server, keep your fingers crossed for me! Also will linux let me move files from it to a windows machine just like I would with 2 windows machines, and will it run files like .mp3s and videos?

16. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Tan, are you saying you used a different PC to install the OS to HDD?!

With SUSE, hardware detection takes place during installation, just as with XP. That HDD will most likely not boot a different system unless all the parts are absolutely identical.

You can try it, but that only works about 1 time in 10...and it works well very, very seldomly.

But yes, Linux can do most any basic file-transfer op with at least as much aplomb as XP ever could, and it will play media files, burn them, ect.

Good luck, though. Let us know if swapping the HDD's around works. Worst case scenario, you take the M$ hard drive out and re-install SUSE.