close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duck

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Jeeps, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Is wild duck much different from store bought duck? Can you make a great duck l'orange with wild duck?

I know there are differenecs for sure, but I'm really looking for taste and meat quality.

I'm thinking about taking up duck hunting, and I'm curious about the differences.

2. noway

noway

Very BIG difference.

the wild duck is much leaner and has more stronger of a taste. You have to cook them totally different in order not to dry the duck ( wild ) out.

IMHO, nothing beats a store bought duck halves.
    BIG

3. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Yeah..but it sure sounds exciting, eh?

4. noway

noway

If you eat alot of duck ( like me ) then after your first try at "wild" duck you will gladdly go back to regular domestic penned and raise duck. Nothing beats the taste of a simple domestic raised pekin or rouen .

It's has alot more moisture, has overall better flavor, great on the grill/smoker/oven and best of all easier to cook.

Most wild duck can be classified as "tasty as a bag of mud" ;f

5. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

I agree that wild duck is quite different. I usually save those taken on the wing for things like andouille, duck, and white bean soup. I also use the breasts of the wild ducks in sausage (duck, pork/pork fat, and dried fruit) and make the leg quarters into duck confit (unlike domestic ducks this usually requires an addition of fat).

6. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Oh man..really?

Crap...and I was really excited about that.

Ok..back to the store bought duck then.

7. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I know you think we MS people are primitive, but I've never even eaten a store bought duck in my entire life.

If you want to try eating "real" duck, I do have a really good recipe for "Dirty Duck" which is a casserole made of duck meat, rice and mushrooms.

Dad duck hunted for years but with the shot they make you use now, the limits and the cost of a duck "stamp", "real" duck is mighty expensive where I'm at.

8. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Oh my God...you're a MS person?

What's a MS person?;g

And yes...I'd be interested in a recipe...I'll swap ya...what recipe do you want from me?

9. SouthernGal

Yep, I'm a MS person. Most people think we're just a screwed-up state, bunch of trailer trash rednecks. While I don't believe this to be true (although we do have people here like that), I do call our way of life "primitive" in that I know plenty of people here who eat more wild game than storebought meat.

Went to a conference in Michigan when I was a Freshman in college. The state had sponsored us so I had the "state slogan" shirt and bumperstickers. A friend of mine thought she'd be cute and stuck one on her a**.

The stickers said "It's yours in Mississippi".

It's about time for me to leave and go home but I'll pick that recipe up and bring it to work with me on Monday, K?

10. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

Alabama's state motto is "Thank God for Mississippi." ;)

11. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Okie dokie.

12. SouthernGal

Pressure Cook or boil one large duck (salt & pepper duck) with two celery sticks and one medium onion until meat leaves bone. Debone duck and break meat into small pieces. Discard celery and onion, retain duck broth.

In a small saucepan put:
    1 stick oleo
    1 cup water
    1 cup duck broth (from above)
    3 chicken bouillon cubes

Bring ingredients to a boil and pour over:
    1 cup rice
    1 bell pepper (chopped)
    1 medium onion (chopped)
    1 small can mushrooms
    1 tsp salt
    dash pepper
    duck meat

Bake 45 minutes at 375 degrees in a covered pyrex dish.

13. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Sounds tasty SG!

I hope so, my in-laws are gracing me with their presence this weekend..this is what I'll serve!

14. SouthernGal

I assume you'll be using "store bought" duck, right? :)

Mom and I were discussing this whole "store bought" duck thing last night and I told her I had NO idea such items were sold. She told me that "of course you wouldn't, I never bought that kind of stuff."

15. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

I though I'd give my L.L. Bean stuff a thrill and shoot some fowl from the air tonight. Whuddiya think?

^b

Or I could just take my Levis down to the store and fetch a duck from the frozen section!

16. SouthernGal

If you've never had wild duck, I'd only try it on the In-Laws if I didn't like them. It is gamey tasting but I guess I'm just used to it.

If you actually LIKE your In-Laws you may want to inch up to the freezer section of the local supermarket.

If you need practice duck shooting you can come to my house and shoot those stupid Canadian Geese we have on our lake. Nobody will miss them.

17. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Yes, I have had wild duck...mostly in Charleston. I have no idea if geographics have any bearing on ducks, but the ones I've had, wild, I liked.

I've had store bought ducks too. I found them also good. The Saturday meal will be store bought duck. I once made a duck dinner for a girlfriend, many many moons ago, and the thing caught fire in the oven. I hadn't realized they were so fatty.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shooting a Canadina Goose illegal? And like, prison time and fine will be levied?

With my dashing good looks and boyish charm, I'd last about 10 seconds in prison. So I think I'll pass on the target practice offer, but thanks anyway!

18. SouthernGal

Unless I'm mistaken, you can shoot them down here but only in season.

The problem is that for many years you couldn't. They've figured out that they don't have to fly "south" anymore and set up permanent residence here, which just really sucks. All they do is eat and crap and make baby geese. All the neighbors hate them. They are a nuisance!

I had an old BF once who tried to eat a Hooded Merganser. It stunk so badly he threw up. What an idiot! He should have known it was a bottom feeder and what it would smell like!

19. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Ummmm...sounds like something out of Cosmo magazine.

What is that?

20. noway

noway

{Hooded Merganser}

It's a weird looking diving duck. Google it and I bet you can find a few pictures.