close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

duck season off to a great start!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rfb45colt, Oct 2, 2003.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Duck season opened here (northern zone of WI) last Saturday at noon. I hunted 4 hrs on Sat, 4 more on Sunday, and I played "hooky" on Wednesday morning to go hunt a few hours, in our first snowstorm of the season (we got from 3-5" of the white stuff). Glad I did, it was the best day I've had in years! I'd empty my 870, and before I could reload, another flock would land right in my snow covered decoys. I've figured out how to beat that 3 shot limit. I'm bringing both my 1100 and my 870 to the blind. ;) There's a 3 shot limit per gun... but no limit on the number of guns you can have (I called the DNR, and checked).

The weather has been more like early December than early October, and the ducks seem to be everywhere. I've already seen more ducks in 3 days of hunting so far this season, than all of last season combined. So far, my tally is 2 teal, 6 mallards (all drakes), 1 woody, and 2 geese. And I've missed at least that many, and I've let several mallard hens land in my dekes, and leave unscathed. I'm almost into my fourth 10rnd box of Hevi-Shot. All of last season, I only used 22 rounds of Hevi-Shot, and bagged 11 birds.

I went shopping last night, and bought a "Lucky Duck" motorized decoy w/ remote (and more Hevi-Shot:)). I've got another one coming, on back-order from a catalog/internet company (it's supposed to be shipped tomorrow). This weekend looks to be the best yet. ;f;f;f

To all my brother duck hunters in WI's southern zone (which opens this Sat), be prepared for some great shooting. We're expecting more unseasonably cold and snow up here, beginning tomorrow, and these ducks will be heading your way soon. It was 19 degrees here, last night. There was some skim ice on the lakes this morning, so they won't be sticking around up here much longer.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Let us know how that contraption decoy works.

My hunt is coming up in a few weeks. I hope the cold stays. Where I'll be hunting is just south of Lake Erie and if the weather stays cold and the wind is out of the north, I'll be sitting pretty.

3. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

Way cool! I've never actually hunted before but it sounds like a lot of fun. My father wasn't into it so I never got exposed as a kid. Though he had other hobbies and we shared good times doing those!

Any chance I can be invited for dinner? I'm headed up your way a week from Friday.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

CranialCrusader

4. noway

noway

What loading of hevishot are you using?

I tried the #6 2.75" magnums and it was good. I've also bought the #4 in the same size and haven't gotten to use the second box.

5. D25

D25 The Quick

You are lucky. There dosn't seem to be many out here in the Southern Willamette Valley of Oregon. There is a lot of folk who seem to think that 75 yards is a good range to start shooting at ducks though. Idiots! Oh well, it was just opening weekend. Hopefully those skybusting duck snipers will stay home for the rest of the season.

On the bright side though, I took my dog out for her first hunt, and yup, she's a lab. They are so good at reminding you that even if the hunting is crappy, at least you are out hunting.:)

Keep your powder dry.