close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duck hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by abraves, Aug 18, 2003.

1. abraves

abraves

To all ya'll duck hunters out there, and anyone else with an opinion.

I am going to buy a shotgun for duck hunting. I would like an auto feeder and have a line on a Beretta 391 Extrema. I also like the feel of the Franchi 910 I believe is the model. I just don't want to have to pay $900 or more. I would like to try to get something for around $700. I am not 100% gotta have an auto feeder but would be nice. The Benelli Nova is not a bad feel. I do want something that has a 3 1/2" chamber and a 28" barrel. Also would like black synthetic or camo. What is anyone's opinion on any of my choices?

Thanks for any input,
    Dan

2. Ookster

Ookster

I've shot a Benelli Nova for the past couple of years and really like it. But I'm also in the market for an auto shotgun for shooting clays and duck hunting. I'm pretty much set on a Winchester Super X-2 if my dealer can ever get them in stock. These run about $700-$750 I think. I've shot them before and really like the way they handle and shoot. I can hit clays much better with the X-2 than I can with a $1200 Benelli Super Black Eagle.

3. rustychev

rustychev

I shoot a Winchester Super X-2 and all i have to say is that it goes and goes Ill go out for a weekend and shoot ducks and trap. With shells from 2 3/4 up to 3" all weekend over a case soem weekends and it just never stops clean it when i get home and thats it. It dose come in 3 1/2" and every thing that you wanted.

Rusty

4. noway

noway

Can anybody state what they select for ammo when hunting ducks?

I just whent out and bought about 60rds of various ammo mainly hevi-shot and remington steel and winchester steel loads.

5. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

Noway,

just a personal preference, ducks over decoys (fairly close) steel shot 3", #4-6. Geese, Hevi-Shot (I want them to come down!). The problem is that Hevi-Shot is about $2 a trigger pull, I find myself passing on some possibly good shots.

However, people have successfully brought down ducks/geese for years with steel and 2.75" shells. It think it is what your confidence allows for. I need a confidence boost sometimes (Hevi-Shot). It doesn't make my shooting better, I just want a little extra punch.;f

I'm sure that there are more scientific ways to determine your ammo/shot selection. This is just what works for me.

MDT

6. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

noway, I shoot steel #2's for the small to medium sized ducks. (I'd love to shoot Hevi-Shot exclusively, but I shoot A LOT of ammo for waterfowl!) I buy the fastest stuff I can find in 3" mag, because fastness helps steel out a lot.

However, I do use Hevi-Shot exclusively for geese... the fast #4's be be exact!

My Beretta 390 seems to pattern everything I put in it about the same, so I just buy what's on sale. This year I went with Federal's new steel ammo: http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?pg=18 can't remember if I went with the "ultra" or "speed" shock though... it's the 1400 fps one & runs about $30 less per case then Winchester's Supreme steel with the same ballistics.

abraves, you're looking at the Winchester Super X-2 for your specifications & needs/wants.

7. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

autoloaders are definately easier on the shoulder. when i was in the market for a duck gun last year, i was looking at the browning golds and the benneli's but when it came down to it i bought a NIB 870 for $237 and that was with tax included... you just cant beat the economy of a pump.

8. noway

noway

Thanks for the info.

I selected the hevi-shot since it was on sale and remington had a rebate offer going on. I have the #4 & #6 1 1/4oz loads 2.75".

The winchester drylock was also on a reduce price, so I bought some of that also. I might go back and look at other options in 3"shells and steel to see what's available.

I figure this way, if the hevi-shot is worth it and brings down or helps me bring down a duck, I have no problems spending $2.00 per pull.

9. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

noway, I used a box of #6 Hevi-Shot opening day last year that I had left over from turkey hunting… I must say that the Hevi-Shot defiantly works! I didn’t have to “swat” a single duck after it hit the water; all were waaay dead before even getting there! I put the ducks aside that were taken with Hevi-Shot & later found that all pellets were complete pass-throughs upon field dressing each. I never found one, single Hevi-Shot pellet in any of those 6 ducks, NOT ONE! Some of those ducks taken were purposely taken at ranges further out then I would have felt comfortable doing with steel.

Now, I’m not saying that steel won’t work, because it does & it does a good job when kept within its realm. Hevi-Shot defiantly outperforms it though. Like said above, the expense is the killer!

Without taking any rebates into account a 250 round case of the ‘better’ steel shot out there costs around $150… for 250 rounds of Hevi-Shot your looking at nearly $500!!! Sorry man, too rich for me… I shoot a lot of ammo at waterfowl throughout the Michigan season! I’ll wait till they get a little closer with the steel, thank you! ;)

10. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Remember though, if you have to keep ‘swatting’ ducks once they hit the water to keep them from swimming away, their cost starts to equal out with the more expensive ammo…

11. TriggerTripper

TriggerTripper

Got to say that I agree with f1b32oPTic (even though I already went and spent some big money on a nice auto loader) I think the better choice would be to take the benelli pump and spend the $700.00 you saved on other gear like decoys, optices, parkas, waders, gloves, or nice gift for the signicant other so she isn't so mad when you bring home your new toy. Why? Well in my experience, even with my fast shooting auto loader I almost never shoot the third shot, and I could shoot two shots almost as fast with my old pump. The pump also feeds the 3 1/2 inch sheels better when adverse conditions such as the sand, grit, rain, and cold weather come in to play. I love my auto loader, but I honestly don't think the $600 difference I paid for it made $600 worth of differnce in the shooting. But if money is no object, then by all means go with the auto....

12. RevGator

RevGator

my experience duck hunting.

duck flies by at comfortable shooting range
    I shoot
    Duck falls
    Duck starts swimming

I can't afford any of the high-tech heavy shots so I've had to stick with steel 12ga. 3" #2-#4

The only time i've seen a duck close enough to kill while using steel was when one flew by early in the morning. I reached out and wacked him with my barrel.

13. tjpet

tjpet

abraves,

If you want a good, cheap, modern 3" auto go to Wal-Mart and get the Beretta 390 for $529. That's an everyday price. Can't be beat for the money. Don't worry about 3.5" capability. Under most hunting conditions you'll never need or miss it.

I hunt over decoys/jump shoot creeks most of the time and 2.75" #2 steel through a modified choke works extremely well. If I can find #1's for cheap I'll use them, too. This is 35-40 yard and under shooting. No reason to buy the high priced spread for this or use 3" mags.

If hunting geese exclusively I like hevi-shot or any of the other premium tungstens, etc. Actually, hevi-shot kills better then lead in my opinion. Around here you're allowed three birds and if you've done your homework 3-5 shots is all you should need.

Practice figuring out what 40 yards looks like 30-50 ft. up and you'll be miles ahead of most folks in the waterfowl game. Or, if you want to emulate a lot of "hunters", get that 3.5" mag, don't practice, and show up opening morning blasting at anything that flys no matter what the range. Oh, and shoot before legal time, too.

tjpet