close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duck, duck, Goose....I got a new lens

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by sjfrellc, Mar 17, 2007.

1. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Nikkor 80-200D f2.8
    Took it out for a test drive today.
    I made a slight error in leaving my shooting mode in vivid optimize image and had to reduce the color saturation on some of the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Indoor basketball shot at ISO 1600 f 2.8, 1/250th sec.

The last four pictures were shot with the 50 mm 1.8 because the games rotate between courts and the the second court of the day didn't have enough light for the f2.8 lens.

And yes Nipperwolf, I finally got a Lastolite white balance thingy

2. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

congrats! I love mine:hearts:
    I have been looking at several different WB aids, which one are you talking about? I usually use a white hanky:rofl:

3. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

[​IMG]

Preset white balance avoids having each shot in a series of indoor pictures try to set a different WB. The Lastolite Ezybalance suggested to me by Nipperwolf gives a true white to preset the camera. I just had to convince myself that if I can afford $800 lenses and $1200 cameras, maybe I should pony up $25 for a white balance aid.

Sorry if I so totally screwed up the color in the above pictures.

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Since you brought up white balance aids, what I don't understand [rant] is why cameras that frequently cost an arm and a leg, and have a built-in light color meter cannot have a small neutral white globe somewhere on top that would allow you to measure ambient light temperature, which in many situations would be FAR superior to measuring incident color temperature. Such a feature would cost very little to implement and would all but remove the need to ever worry about carrying gray cards - a clumsy contraption that takes space and takes much longer to operate. [/rant]

5. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Congrats!!! it is an amazing lens. does have some weight to it, though. I use a monopod with mine most of the time.

about that second bird pic.....my first thought was "why did you oversharpen it?" then checked your exif data and saw that the camera's sharpness setting was 'hard'. :shocked: which is probably caused the halos on the bottom of the bird.

but if I recall, when the camera is set on vivid, it ups the sharpness levels.

a good reason to PP with computer, not camera. ;)

how'd you do first time refolding the Lastolite?

its kind of like reassembling a Ruger 22 pistol. first time or two is tricky, but then its a piece of cake.

:supergrin:

6. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

I don't know I just kinda twisted it into submission and thought if this continues the sides are going to get kind of krinckled. And I think I'll flip a coin to decide do I go white or gray?

I really am regretting I did not reset the camera to Optimize Image normal instead of Vivid. Homer Simpsom Dohhh!

I cropped the swan in flight and hit "I'm feeling lucky" in Picasa to improve contrast and color and then sharpened the picture in Picasa. I don't see much difference with the sharpening step. I think the picture is not as sharp simply because of resolution at 150 yards.

7. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

Great pics. I really like this one (go figure).:supergrin:

8. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Beautiful shots. Good luck with that lens.

9. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

I think the resolution was not optimal to begin with, so sharpening might have been overdone. Plus the swan wasn't listening to me when I was trying to instruct him how to pose. :)
    Here's the original:

[​IMG]

Here's the series I cropped from. Each picture in this collage is cropped to square by Picasa in the process of creating the collage, the originals are slightly larger and not square:
    [​IMG]

This crop was sharpened with Photoshop smartsharpen with only the red and green channels sharpened to try to eliminate noise.

[​IMG]

10. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

that's some major cropping, all right. ;) :supergrin:

curious, why were you shooting ISO 250 in the sun, and not ISO 100?

maybe drop the ISO and open the arperture up a little. utililize that 2.8.;)

I missed this earlier;
    I use the white side.