close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duck boats

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by USPcompact, Aug 6, 2004.

1. USPcompact

USPcompact

Anybody out there use one?

I'm looking to put one together, but don't have the foggiest idea where to begin. I've done some reading on other forums, and the general consensus (if you don't want to spend $18,000 for a War Eagle) has been to part one together yourself. From the recommendations of others, it seems that a center console 18 footer is about what I'm looking for. While I don't plan to hunt any big water, I do want a boat that I can fish out of in the summer. So, no mud or jet motors. But, at this point, that's about all that I know.

What's a good jon boat to start this project with? What about seating arrangements? Any motor suggestions? Motor size? ^8

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

My dad has an small aluminum hull that's 13', if I remember right, with a 25HP Johnson outboard on it. Lake Erie is his back yard so it sees lots of action and he seems to like. Light enough for him to get it in and out of the water with just a winch and he can row it around if he wants.

3. TitansFan

TitansFan

Sea Ark makes some good boats.I know of a few people that have them and they enjoy them a lot.

4. anomad

anomad

5. USPcompact

USPcompact

Thans for the link. I've actually already asked a couple of questions over there, but was wondering what any of the folks here at GT might be using.

Another good forum for any duck/goose hunters out there is www.waterfowler.com . Really a great site, and you can register for free for 45 days and check out the site and forums.

6. anomad

anomad

I have never hunted ducks before. But I have the panels of my third stitch and glue boat in the garage......

I would suggest Jim Michalak boat design's "jonsboat". could be easily modified anyway you want for quacker blasting. the guys on duckboats seem to like big powerful boats. My tastes would be more small and light, something easy to park in the weeds.

7. haneym

haneym

i guess it all depends on what youre looking for. i wanted one i could both hunt and fish out of so i went with the 1542FLD model war eagle (and it was $4000 not $18k). it has the perfect layout for both hunting and fishing and i love it. i have a 23hp go devil for hunting thick stuff and a 25 yamaha 4 stroke for fishing or hunting the not so thick stuff. all this totaled up to about $10k but it does everything i could want for this size boat. check out www.refugeforums.com for a lot of good info. their boat, blinds and gear forum has tons of ideas and pics. you can get info on everything from modifying a $200 jon boat up to a freaking floating hotel blind. good luck!

8. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I don't hunt any "big" water, mostly small lakes and flowages, so I don't need a big boat/motor. I use an older 14' aluminum v-hull from Montgomery Wards, with a 9.9 Evinrude. My boat blind is home-made, and it cost me a total of about $50... and $30 of that was for the camo material. The rest is just 1/2" conduit, spray-paint, and nuts & bolts.

Here it is with the blind "up".

9. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

... and with one side "flipped down" for shooting.

10. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

... and all set for towing, with everything tied down.