DT vs. Buffalobore ?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 750SpiritRdr, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

Was looking at some 9mm 147g +p at both places, Double Tap is more than Buffalobore...
    is there an advantage to one brand vs. the other?

DT- Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
    Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps.

BB- 147 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1,175 fps/M.E. 451 ft. lbs.)

Who uses what and why?

2. N/Apower

N/Apower

I stick with the big 3, but if I had to pick one of the above, I would go with Buffalo Bore, because I don't see tonnes of threads about them randomly substituting other bullets/weights, etc. without telling the customer, and the chronograph results I have seen indicate that they are more consistant.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I completely agree. That being said N/A. We drove into Ft. Worth a few weeks ago to Cabela's and I was look at all the different stuff and the BB fodder had "generic bullets."

I say 'Generic," because they were NOT GD's, and they were NOT anything I could very easily Identify. There were some that were Montana gold, BUT, some that were close to a mystery bullet. They bore a striking resemblance to WWB JHP's that you would find in their (wwb) 40cal and 45cal. Looked just like them.

So, I do agree with ya on the BB over the other, but buyer beware even then. Make sure OP that you are getting "the bullet you want," before you get to the check out line.

This is why I reload. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

For defense ammo I feel comfortable carrying normal name brand rounds. I don't feel a need to get specialty reloads for everyday carry.

That being said, there are applications where specialty ammo is needed. I have been looking for a hog load for my 625 and Buffalo Bore offers a round that fits the bill. It is a 255gr. HCFN at almost 1100fps in a 45super. This load is not offered by anyone else so I would need to get it from BB. In this case I have no worries about bullet substitution since it is a very particular bullet.

In any case the buyer needs to beware.

5. unit1069

unit1069

I couldn't say if one round is better than another, but if I remember correctly Double Tap is a 50-round box and Buffalo Bore is 20 rounds. If so, BB is considerably more costly than DT.

6. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

i guess i should have looked at the round count a little closer...

7. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

The BB 158 38 spl load are my warshots in my 438. I fired 5 across the chrono and none were less than 1020 FPS. no more shooting them unless it is a blood shot as a BUG to my duty or Off duty situation.

8. N/Apower

N/Apower

What is the name of your BUG? It has to have a name. Noone who has "warshots" and would take a "blood shot" could POSSIBLY resist naming their pistol. Let's hear it.

9. G21FAN

Uhhh, snub BUG???????

Just some terms I have heard at the Academy.

I say blood shot as there in NO more practice shots of these loads in the airweight. Dont want to throw the timing or warp the crane. Not to mention warping my hand as well.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. Discobobby

Discobobby

I've heard warshots used in a naval context to describe putting real, armed missiles or torpedoes in the launcher, as opposed to the training or inert rounds that are usually there.

11. Big Sam

Big Sam

I have been shooting the 147gr +P Double Tap Gold Dots for a little over a year now. Very very happy with them in my G17 (1115 fps over my chrono) and G26 (1,055 fps over my chrono). In the G17 they have been quite accurate out to 50 yards so far. About 3 weeks ago I got some of the BB 147gr +P+ Gold Dots. Problem is we have had so much snow I have not been able to get out and try them. That will be in a week or two pending snow storms. I have to reserve any judgements on the 147gr +P+ Buffalo Bore loads but I would certainly recommend the Double Tap loads in a G17 or G26.

12. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

let me know when you shoot the BB 147 out of your 17, i'd like to know the results

13. G21FAN

I ran 5 thru my USP over a chrono and was getting about 1170-1175 or so.

14. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

well thats about what they say it runs from a 17 so i'll give them a try

15. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

That's a pretty nasty velocity for 147grain out of a 9mm isn't it??! :wow:

16. G21FAN

OH, Yeah! Nasty rounds for nasty situations!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  17. Ticman

Ticman

All Double Tap did was change the name from Gold Dot to Bonded Defense JHP. DT comes 50 to a box so I would pick them over BB's 20 round boxes. Much cheaper that way.

I believe it was BB that swapped the GD for Montana Golds. DT sells MG but not under the Bonded Defense name.

18. G21FAN

Other way 'round, DT exchanged the Gold-Dots to Montana Gold. The BB I just got in still is loaded with the Gold-Dots.

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i use "boutique" ammo companies for my 10mm only, because none of the "big three" offer a real 10mm powered round.

i can not afford to buy "boutique" ammo for my Seecamp .32 or Glock 9mm or RIA .45, et cetera when the "big three" make reasonably powered rounds costing less on the shelf locally.

20. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

The reason i brought up this subject was because i have been using Win. Ranger and Fed. Hydra-Shok but i want something a little "hotter" that is reliable.