dslr choice

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by mp5fullauto, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mp5fullauto

mp5fullauto Guest

Okay, im buying a dslr next week and have narrowed my choices the the Canon Digital XT or the Olympus E-500(2 lense kit at Circuit city) Both are 8mp but i am leaning toward the Olympus due to the extra lenses but i worry that with the canon lenses are more available canon is more recognized for dslr's Please help i have checked dpreview and people love both these cameras. I am just starting in Dslr photography and am not looking to go pro or anything just want a good dslr and will buy more lenses as my experience grows. thanks

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

They are two different animals. They use significantly different sensors. Please read the reviews of both at dpreview.com:

1. Canon XT
    2. Olympus E-500

3. mp5fullauto

mp5fullauto Guest

okay so that took the olympus out of the equation. What about the choice between the digital xt and the xti. I know the mps arent much difference but i liked the feel of the xti better, just not sure if its worth the price difference.

4. kevin101

kevin101

I just picked up an E500, I'm still learning to use it but it seems to work pretty well.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I own an XT. I have had it about 18-20 months. I am well pleased with mine, well over 20k shots later. If I were shopping today, I would pick the XT over the XTi as the new features aren't worth the difference in price to me.

As for handling and the way it feels, have you checked out any Nikons? They are good too. I didn't like how they felt in my hands so I went with the XT.

6. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Although there are people who love Olympus and fuji DSLRs, stick with Canon or Nikon, they lead the industry. Choose carefully, it is hard to switch once you make the choice and have $$$$$ in glass and other stuff. I picked Nikon a long time ago, love my choice and would not swith if it didnt cost me a thing. Ms. Kitty feals that way about Canon, either will serve you well, but are slightly different animals.

7. JMag

JMag

Looked a bunch of them...went with Pentax.

:thumbsup:

8. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

When you buy a DSLR you are not buying a camera you are buying a system. Look at the whole system to pick the one that is right for you.

9. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

I'm stuck in the Canon system but seriously considered ditching everything and switching to Pentax. I found a good deal on a 1DmkII so I'm still in the Canon world but if I were starting over I'd surely put Pentax up with Canon and Nikon.

10. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

What was wrong with the Olympus?