close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DSL Setup WTF Tech Support

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wulfenite, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

So I just switched from one DSL carrier (based in India apparently) to another (thus far in the U.S.). So far so good. But then I'm not getting the advertised speed. So I start out at eight this morning chatting with tec support, 2.5 hours later I've been cutoff three times and had to restart each time with the diagnostic. "What's trouble are you having?" "I'm very sorry about that, lets see what we can do." "I've got to tell you that most DSL problems are related to improper use of the line filters...." blah blah blah, till they get to a step that results in getting me cut off, and I start over. Apparently they're incapable of re-connecting you with the person you were working with last; they also cant pick up the diagnosis where you left off. Pathetic! Even their chat IM software is garbage. So finally I get pissy with the last girl, and she takes my number and within a minute an actual person in the local CO calls me. Within about 2 minutes he throws a switch or something and I'm running at advertised speed; Twice the download as I was getting from e-India, and 12 times the upload!

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

A DSL carrier in India? Where the heck are you located?
    They aren't based in India thier tech support is.

They using 2 cans and a string?

Remember the poor lowly paid help desk support is most likely outsourced to a welfare company.

Don't worry those jobs will be filled by (Fill in the blank with whatever Ethnic choice of the year is) soon.

They are required to follow the tech support manual.

Remember "customer service" is just a slogan nothing else.

They probably bumped your circuit or put more magic smoke in the jar.

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I think they're located in Santa Clara or Pleasanton or somewhere like that, but you could never tell from the people you get on the phone. The only reason I know that's where they're based is the "Meet Horny Housewives Near You" popups and spam always show me women that are in the east or south bay area.

I'm betting I'll get a local person when I call up to cancel my service.

I know the tech support is lowly paid and scripted, but I would think it would be in THEIR best interest to pick up the diagnosis where they left off rather than starting from scratch.

The customer service slogan is not so much with my new carrier ATT. Their big thing is the apology. "Hello, this is tech support, I'm very sorry, and I'd like to apologizing for asking whatever problem you're having....btw what problem are you having that I can be sorry about for you today?"