close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry firing

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by oregonduck, Aug 12, 2017.

1. oregonduck

oregonduck

Greetings,

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on dry firing my Glock 43. I don't have a chance to get to the range that often, but I like to "go through the motions" each day in order to establish at least a modicum of muscle memory. I am, however, somewhat concerned about the effects of dry firing on the gun.
    Thanks for your input.

2. tbc

tbc

Just use good snap cap and you're good to go.

Chup likes this.

3. shyguy

shyguy

Hi Oregonduck
    Snap caps are your friend.

4. cptnawesome

cptnawesome

I dry fire a lot and have never used a snap cap...some swear by them some are like me...to each their own

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

banger, jame, Pierre! and 1 other person like this.
  5. oregonduck

oregonduck

Thank you, gentlemen! I will take all of this onboard.

6. G19G384

G19G384

I've heard that the guns that are rim fire (.22lr) should not be dry fired. However, center fired guns like the 9mm g43 are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jame and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  7. oregonduck

oregonduck

All very helpful. Thanks.

8. sciolist

sciolist

For what you're trying to accomplish, you don't really need to drop the striker enough times to worry much about it, although you can certainly use a snap cap for when you do drop it.

If you don't want to set up a gun with a reset trigger, one approach to gross mechanics is to shim the gun slightly out of battery with a small piece of folded up paper or cardboard. That'll allow you to work the trigger against the spring.

Another exercise you might want to experiment with is resetting the trigger with a snap cap in, and practice bringing it as close as you possibly can to breaking without actually going over the edge. In conjunction with careful observation of the sights, this can help a lot with trigger control development - especially if you add a time parameter.

9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I have abuse the heck outta my Glocks with many, many dry fire sessions. Have yet to experience a failure in the striker components.

The whole point is to watch the reaction of the front sight when you break the trigger... so that's how I practice. In an ammo free room, thick phone book (or two) with a target stuck to it.

Combine it with holster work with your CCW or Competition rig and you will see some fruit after a couple of weeks.

For holster work speed is not how you start - Start with the mechanics, and get them right each time. 15 minutes per session 3 to 5 times a week (schedule and honey-do's must be done first - LOL) and do it right, then work on doing it fast.

For trigger work - it's a trigger PRESS, not a jerk, smash, pull, or twitch - Press straight back, and when the trigger breaks, the sights don't move. Sounds simple, takes a bit to master.... and coffee or Crystal Meth should not be consumed right before trigger practice!!!

Remember that practice makes PERMANENT, so make your Practice Perfect so you end up Permanently Perfect :)

StLJohn likes this.
  10. tundracamper

tundracamper

According to the Sig CEO, you should never pull the trigger on your Glock, particularly when disassembling. I'm sure he is really scared of dry-firing.

ithaca_deerslayer and Pierre! like this.
  11. Toni77

Toni77

I use snap caps intensively in all my guns. It helps me with my grip, accuracy etc because you learn how each gun feels . Of course it's just a complement to the real deal at the range but quite helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

https://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq

willieH and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  13. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I dry fire every firearm that I own and have never had a snap cap. If I break something on a gun, I'll fix it or have it repaired. So far, I had a peened over 1911 firing pin in the last 50+ years!

When I competed in NRA high power rifle matches, I bought an ugly AR-15 for a cheap price just to practice offhand shooting with dry firing. That poor rifle was dry fired thousands of times until I made the mistake of shooting it in a 200 yard match.

The darned rifle shot great and it ended up being one of my favorite match rifles! After all that dry firing, I replaced the bolt catch and shot if for years afterwards!

Flash

Pierre! likes this.
  14. oregonduck

oregonduck

Wow! Lots of interesting stuff here guys

15. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Just like Roger most of my pistols get dry fired on a regular basis except the .22s, some have seen thousands of dry fires. I've never used a snap cap in my life, if one happens to break I will simply have it repaired, not a big deal.

16. OBG17

OBG17

I rarely dry fire but when I do I use a couple of things. On my striker fired guns I may use snap caps. On my DA/SA I use snap caps or I put a #83 O-ring behind the FP to protect it.

tbc likes this.
  17. MarkLB

MarkLB

I have seen a drastic improvement at the range, due to hours and hours of dry fire practice. I also own a Glock 43 w/ a TRL-6 Streamlight/laser attachment and a Glock 27. I rotate carry these and practice dry firing, each night with the one I've carried for the day. I do use snap-caps and recycle the slide after each trigger pull, ejecting the snap-cap and catching it mid-air (kinda cool to do). I focus first on sight aliegnment in conjunction with trigger pull/control. Secondly, I work on draw, purchase and presentation. Finally, I try to do this quick without compromising mechanics. One resource I frequently utilize is YouTube. There are many videos regarding dry-firing, you should check them out. Good luck and dry-fire practice as much as you can!

18. The Old Bloke

The Old Bloke

I was always a great fan of Snap caps.

19. esanford

esanford

I took the hand gun accuracy course by Patrick Kilcherman of CC University. He has done extensive research on the subject along with many other experts. His findings are that you don't need snap caps on tier 1 handguns like any of the Glocks. In the course he recommends vigorous 15 minute daily dry firing sessions with a full rack after every trigger pull. The goal is to practice your stance, grip, and aim without the shock of recoil. Also the slide racks prepare you to quickly clear a possible jam without panicking or thinking. The purpose is to install these things into muscle memory. I did it for 30 straight days in June, and I will tell you that it is hard physical work. I purchased a plastic barrel that I keep in my Glock 26 and I am assured that it is not loaded. I have really built up my forearm, hand and wrist strength from racking that slide after every trigger pull, and I have significant arthritis in both hands. My next step is to go back to the range to check on my pattern accuracy. At my age, this is better than a gym workout, and I highly recommend it. You have the confidence of knowing that the bad guys are not investing this much time into combat accuracy.

StLJohn and JimmieC. like this.
  20. willieH

willieH

I'd follow the suggestion from the people who actually manufactured the gun -

Can I dry fire my Glock pistol?
    It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended.

WeeWilly and grendelbean like this.