Dry firing?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by astepup, Sep 11, 2015.

1. astepup

astepup

Just a simple question, any harm in dry firing a Glock with an empty chamber? Should snap caps be used if a lot of dry firing will be done?

2. arnezie

arnezie

No harm whatsoever

atrain311 likes this.

3. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

Can I dry fire my Glock pistol?
    It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended.

I got this from their site.
    https://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq

Big Kohle likes this.
  4. HGxyz

HGxyz

Snap caps are a real bother to me. I dry fire my Glocks and do it a lot. I'm trying to see if I can eventually damage one, but no luck so far. My oldest Glock will be 26 this month, I bought it new and have dry fired ever since.

Please, no one come with the "cheap insurance" line. I'll sell you meteor strike insurance for $25 a year. The last time someone posted a picture of a compromised breech face, I read the article, and yes the guy dry fired an inordinate amount, but he used snap caps.

Lindenwood likes this.
  5. Karambit777

Karambit777

I like replies like this ^^^ . Makes me feel better and more confident in my Glocks. Since I only dry fire when I clean them, I should never have an issue :). And I use tiptons caps most of the time also. Not that there needed. I'm just a little OCD

RPW likes this.
  6. tattooo

tattooo

I always try to dry fire any gun with snap caps to be safe but that is up for debate by many

7. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I only use snap caps because I prefer the feel of the trigger after release when the striker is retained against something other than the breech face. I have never seen any damage to mine with or without snap caps since I got my first G23 in 1997.

8. Mayonator

Mayonator

From what I've heard, dry firing a Glock rarely does any harm to the gun, but the trigger feels a little different without a loaded mag, I'm not sure why. I imagine there are those here who know what the reason is.

Dry fire practice is the #1 reason that I can hit my targets consistently. It teaches good trigger control.

9. Elmer Shiflett

Elmer Shiflett

Nope not a bit

10. 45/21pop

45/21pop

Another quick question: For those of you who exclusively use snap caps for extensive dry fire practice, how long does one snap cap last?
    For instance, if I dry fire 500 times using one Zoom 9mm snap cap, does it loose its ability to protect whatever it's designed to protect at around the 203rd or 204th or perhaps the 306th or 307th time I release the striker?
    I realize there are different types and qualities of snap caps.......Zoom, Tipton, etc, but it's the Zoom brand that's most readily available in this area. There's really no instruction or description of the effective lifespan for an individual cap.

11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Dry firing a little doesn't hurt, dry firing alot, 25K plus, yes, it will blow out the breech face. There is nothing to absorb the energy. I have witnessed 3 competition Glocks fail that way. Personally I don't dry fire, except to show clear and empty at the end of a USPSA stage so 8-14 times for 2 matches on a weekend. My oldest 2 pin G17 is over 130,000 rounds and counting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  12. tager

tager

Evening astepup

Probably no harm in a little dry fire practice but remember you can break an anvil if you hit it enough times with a hammer so dry firing a LOT can eventually damage the breech face (how many is too many will have to be determined by how many you do before damage sets in)

A snap cap is a good way to displace some the firing pin force but even snap caps will cease to help when the rear of the snap gets peened in & the case gets beat to death --so keep fresh snap caps in the chamber.

Call Glock customer service & tell them that you dry fired one of their Glocks 500,000 times & see what they tell you about warranty repair for a slide breakage or slide damage.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  13. HGxyz

HGxyz

Snap caps won't necessarily help you. Look at the first post in this thread. It pictures a blown out breech face just like the one seen in post #11 and was done using snap caps.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/unusual-slide-failure-in-glock-17-gen4.1587414/

Of course it's up to you, But I'm still seeing if I can break one. The first time Glock ever mentioned using snap caps for dry firing was probably less than five years ago - but I don't know for sure. At that time I'd had my G17 over 20 years. I bet they would replace my slide if the breech face ever gets destroyed. If not, it's on me.

How many dry fires does it take to wear out 100 snap caps - roughly the equivalent cost of a new slide?

14. tager

tager

But good snap caps sure will as proper fitting, properly designed snap caps in good condition will prevent the firing pin from slamming into the back side of the breech face.

To each his own I guess, why stress a part beyond design intent when there is a safe easy way to prevent damage.

You try to intentionally damage yours & I try to prevent damage to mine. I guess we are just different in how we treat a weapon that a life might depend on.

15. HGxyz

HGxyz

I'm not really trying to damage mine. I'm being ironic. I just don't think dry firing will damage my guns.

Anomander likes this.
  16. IDCG

IDCG

After reading many threads on this topic, I believe breech failure probably has more to do with improperly heat-treated slides than dry-firing. They've occurred on low-round count guns as well as high-round count guns, while there are many who claim 10s of thousands of dry-fires without issues. Also, I agree with a previous poster's point that it seems like this wasn't an issue several years ago and is a fairly recent phenomena.

HGxyz likes this.
  17. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Snap caps,some do some don't it's a personal decision. SJ 40

18. HGxyz

HGxyz

I don't know the full engineering details, but is force from dry firing really a consideration compared to the explosion on the other side of the breech face every time a round is detonated? The force from firing may be spread over a larger area, but it is much greater. I'm seriously asking - don't know for sure, but that's what my intuition tells me.

19. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Dry firing a lot can cause the breech face to fail, per Post 11. Moderate dry firing should not produce that level of stress on a good slide.Quality snap caps replicate the feel of a loaded round. Obviously a lighter FP spring causes less stress.

As someone who dry fires Glocks about 10 hours/week, 52 weeks a year, my question is, why would you drop the FP that many times on an empty chamber? The purpose of dry fire is to build mechanical skills. For that, you need some form of reset trigger. Even if you are just shimming a live trigger, the FP is not going to be hitting the breech.

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

get bored put a pencil or pen in it and see how far it'll go!