close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry Firing

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DuramaxOn40s, Mar 19, 2012.

1. DuramaxOn40s

DuramaxOn40s TheDieselFreak

I have searched the general idea of dry firing, but have not found any threads to really support my question... I was wondering if dry firing hurts the gun in any way, or firing pin?? I have heard both yes and no.. Also, what is the point of snap caps if it is okay to dry fire a Glock ?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Glock used to say that no amount of dry firing would hurt their guns. Now they recommend the use of snap caps for repeated dry firing, but dry firing for field strip without a snap cap is fine.

You'll see images out there of cracked breech faces, those are due to metallurgic problems, in some instances the breech face has cracked with as few as 100 rounds through the gun. Though it's incredibly rare to hear about it, maybe 1 in 10,000 Glocks or even higher.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

3. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

I dry fire mine all the time, have never had any trouble. That being said 10 bucks for some snaps caps is not bad if you are worried about it.

4. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Dry fire the hell out of it, wont hurt it...I dry fire mine at least fifty times a day...

5. DuramaxOn40s

So are the caps just supposed to "save" the firing pin from damaging??

6. DuramaxOn40s

Haha I can't put mine down (just got my G23 a week ago)

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Man I wish mine would be fired that many times a day .........oh wait wrong forum :whistling:

:50cal:

8. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

Yes it simulates when during live fire your firing pin contacts the primer before hitting the slide. When dry firing on an empty chamber the firing pin slams into the slide.

9. Pier23

Pier23

Ummm...another newbie question...but how do you "cock" the Glock without extracting the snap cap?

10. kamonjj

kamonjj

^ only pull the slide back far enough to reset the trigger.

Dry fire all day. It wont hurt a thing. You have to dry fire the pistol to field strip it for goodness sakes.

11. JParham

JParham Member

I actually use snap caps just to be safe. But I don't really think it hurts Glocks to do without. I also use them at the range with a buddy. Load a couple snap caps in with live ammo. When you pull the trigger and the gun goes click, if you flench or move, your doing something wrong :super grin:.

Also I got 5 snap caps for $15 and they say they are good for 3000 fires per cap. ONLY downfall that I can think of is that they leave purple paint flakes in your gun, another excuse to clean it :super grin:.

12. sig357fan

sig357fan

I made up some snap caps from aluminum cases, mechanical pencil eraser and some bullets I had laying around.
    Deprimed the aluminum cases and drilled all the way through the primer pocket just shy of the size of the pencil eraser, seated a bullet, put a few drops of super glue in the case through the drilled out primer pocket and pushed the eraser in until it hit the bottom of the seated bullet, let it sit a few minutes and used an exacto knife to cut off the eraser flush with the bottom of the case.

My wife switched from a snub 38 to a G26 so we use the snap caps to practice loading mags, chambering a round, dry firing around the house, use them on the range for a ”flinch check”, they have been a big help and for about a buck to make its cheap insurance for safety reasons, not wanting to use live ammo until we are on the range.

Sig357fan

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  13. DuramaxOn40s

I see where all of you are coming from on both sides. I'll just continue without using them for now..