Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of dry firing at home, but then I read somewhere that this is bad. Is this true? Do I need to use "snap caps"? If so, which ones do you recommend?

·
Frisky!
35,968 Posts
Dry fire is fine.
:supergrin:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What they said. I have the wife handle her 23 every night after dinner. This includes inserting mags, dry fire and breaking the gun down so that she is 100% confident and competant to handle the weapon in any situation.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can shoot a Glock dry, wet, or dirty.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I've heard that a reasonable amount of dry-firing is okay, so long as you're not doing a few hundred dry shots a night. Why not just get practice rounds?

·
***** medic
413 Posts
I've heard that a reasonable amount of dry-firing is okay, so long as you're not doing a few hundred dry shots a night. Why not just get practice rounds?
Because they are a waste of money.....You CAN dry fire a few hundred rounds after dinner......It wont hurt a thing

·
NRA Member
17,703 Posts
I have the wife handle her 23 every night after dinner. This includes inserting mags, dry fire and breaking the gun down so that she is 100% confident and competant to handle the weapon in any situation.
Must not say anything...must restrain myself...:supergrin:

·
NRA MEMBER
8,151 Posts
I'd use snap-caps..Real cheap insurance and may avoid breach face damage..Why not spend a few bucks just to be sure..

·
NRA Member
2,065 Posts
I've dry-fired my Glocks thousands, if not tens of thousands of times.

No snap-caps, no problems.

·
NRA MEMBER
8,151 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Dry firing is fine, but for me I will still use snap caps.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If it were bad to dry fire, I don't think Glock would have engineered the pistol to require a dry fire before disassembly...?

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:wavey: Hello!

:) Dry firing without using snap caps might hurt another gun, but, not a Glock! Other guns are made of common ordinary carbon and stainless steels; but, a Glock is made of indestructible Austrian, 'Nitro +' ordinance proof steel. (One of the hardest metals known to man!)

I've occasionally heard it referred to as, 'magic steel'. Don't ya think it's, kind 'a, pointless to waste perfectly good money on snap caps that you're never really going to need to use! :thumbsup:

·
Glock 19 Rocks!
6,478 Posts
I dry fire all the time!

·
NRA MEMBER
8,151 Posts
:wavey: Hello!

:) Dry firing without using snap caps might hurt another gun, but, not a Glock! Other guns are made of common ordinary carbon and stainless steels; but, a Glock is made of indestructible Austrian, 'Nitro +' ordinance proof steel. (One of the hardest metals known to man!)

I've occasionally heard it referred to as, 'magic steel'. Don't ya think it's, kind 'a, pointless to waste perfectly good money on snap caps that you're never really going to need to use! :thumbsup:
:rofl:

·
NRA MEMBER
8,151 Posts
If it were bad to dry fire, I don't think Glock would have engineered the pistol to require a dry fire before disassembly...?
How often do you dryfire only to take it apart? Its not like you are doing it 50 to 100 times a day..What else would break a breach face pushing it outward other than the striker slaming into the backside?

·
Registered
931 Posts
What they said. I have the wife handle her 23 every night after dinner. This includes inserting mags, dry fire and breaking the gun down so that she is 100% confident and competant to handle the weapon in any situation.
You Dawg you! Were you that smooth before you married her? What a lucky gal:embarassed:.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts