Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ayoob. A friend just asked if I thought it was safe to practice dry firing in his apartment without a safe backstop if he 1) made sure his ammo was in another room, 2) he continually chamber checked 3 times before shooting, and 3) only used snap caps in his gun.

I suggested that there was no problem as long as he got permission from his neighbors to shoot his firearm at their homes through an unreinforced wall while violating at least three of the four basic safety rules. He would of course promise to be really REALLY careful to make sure it wasn't loaded. Surely their spouses and children would probably be safe under those conditions.

I bring this up because I thought it might clarify the thinking of others who might be facing the same conundrum.

Thoughts?

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,914 Posts
I've long believed that there should be a backstop for dry fire. At my place, I use old body armor, or the purpose-built Safe Direction ballistic pad from Ravelin (ravelingroup.com).

Most folks don't have that stuff lying around the house, and for them I recommend densely packed bookshelves, dry fired at end-wise. I've found that a .45 hardball round that generally goes through and through 18" gelatin blocks will stop in less than a foot of hard-packed paper.

More here: https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/safe-dry-fire-practice/ .

Best,
Mas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Mas. Very informative link. (by the way my initial salutation was meant to be "Mr Ayoob"!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts