close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry Firing Glocks..

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Kiddo, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Kiddo

Kiddo

To those who use Glocks, how often do you guys dry fire with them? Do you use snap caps? If you do, how often do you replace them?

I tend to dry fire a lot but natatakot ako baka ma homogenize yung breechface ko! :alien:

Thanks. :)

2. s0nny_g17

s0nny_g17

mga 3-5x a week for more or less 10 mins depende kung wala ako ginagawa

i use 1 plastic snapcaps(modified it myself). tinangal ko un kinakapitan extractor para kasa na lang ako ng kasa na hindi tumatalsik un snap cap. binarena ko ung part na tinatamaan striker tapos nilagyan ko rubber. medyo maumbok na nga lang ung likod gawa nun rubber

i guess its safe naman i-dry fire ang glock, nakasulat sa manual nila yun e

3. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

dry-fired my G-17, when I had it, a thousand times or so I suppose, always with a snapcap (read in this forum about guys breaking breechfaces, especially one guy who is famous for it but I forgot his name.)

Snapcaps are cheap, might as well use one.

4. asian_glockster

asian_glockster Hook Up!!!!!!!!

Use snapcaps. If there's none available, you could use an empty shell (but please, BE CAREFUL!!!!!)

I'm the unfortunate owner of a glock 19 who happened to have broken two slides due to breechface failures..:embarassed:

5. jimbullet

jimbullet

Asian glockster,

How often did you dryfire, which resulted to the breech cracking on you?

6. asian_glockster

jimbullet,

first slide> When it was brand new.. Everyday around 100x per day for three months when the breechface gave way. number of rounds rounds fired around 500. all lead and reloaded. Used the original connector

second slide> When it was replaced by glock.. three times a week, around 50x per session when the breechface gave way for three years. number of rounds fired around 6000. combination of lead, teflon and fmj. 95% reloaded.Used a 3.5lbs connector.

7. Kiddo

Kiddo

asian_glockster, did you use a snapcap while you were dry firing with those two slides? And did you pay for the new slide from Glock? Thanks.

8. asian_glockster

kiddo,

On the first slide, I didn't use any snapcaps.

On the second slide, I initially used a snapcap but I thought that the first slide that I had was a factory defect and what I read from different forums that it is absolutely safe to dry fire glocks, I didn't use snapcaps anymore. I was proven wrong.

The gunstore where I bought my glock shouldered all expenses, i.e., freight and the necessary permits to send the slide back to Austria. I waited for almost a year to get my replacement slide.

When my second slide broke, I have to dish out at least five thousand pesos for shipping alone and without any guarantee that the slide will be replaced by Glock. I decided to buy a slide from other sources instead.

I asked someone from a gunstore at MCS regarding dryfiring glocks without snapcaps and he discourages it. He has a cutaway version of a glock 17 and he explained that the shoulder of the tip of the firing pin hits the back of the breechface when there is no round in the chamber.He also explained that the breechface is thin. Long term effect will be a broken breechface. The firing pin of a glock is different from 1911, wherein the firing pin of the 1911 does not hit the back of the breechface since the firing pin of a 1911 is round. The firing pin of a glock is somewhat different.

I still have my glock 19 with me and because the slide was broken, I carry my Bul M5 right now because my Bul has a valid PTC. Since I had already replaced my slide, I will get a PTC for my Glock and when it is approved, it will still be my primary carry pistol.

Enjoy shooting your glock 19 but when you dryfire, use snapcaps. I enjoyed shooting my glock and I sometimes join level 1 shooting competitions when time permits..

9. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

I wonder if the GLOCK Caspian slide would suffer breechface failures if subjected to the same amount of dryfiring.

10. vega

vega

Don't take the risk, bili ka na lang ng snap cap.

11. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

Saan po kaya meron nito, for Glock 23

Thanks

12. jimbullet

jimbullet

In an eventuality,may I know which gunstore helped you in getting a replacement? Is it trust trade? Coz that is where I got mine. The replacement slide, did it still carry the old serial no or is there no more markings?

13. asian_glockster

The gunstore was PB Dionisio. It carried the same serial number.

14. vega

vega

Ehem...Kahit dito sa Glock Smyrna hindi ka maikukuha ng same serial #. Pareho ba ng indention and mga characters?

15. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

Tanong po ulit, saan po nabibiling caps, especially for the glock23

16. vega

vega

Sa mga gunstore, snap caps are not made for a particular model, it is made for a particular caliber.

17. Django

Django

Try mo Twin Pines.

18. asian_glockster

Yung slide ko po pinadala sa Austria kaya parehas yung serial number.Yung second slide ko po ay galing sa US. Dun ko po pinabili..

19. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Twin Pines. Look for the A-Zoom brand; it's the most durable I've tried.

20. revo

revo

You do not need snap caps when dry firing Glocks.

Glocks are one of the few handguns that can be dry fired without any fear of breakage.

Rugers are another.