Dry Firing a G19

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by chipglock, Jan 6, 2005.

1. chipglock

chipglock

Happy new year gentlemen,

Ive finally acquired my g19 (thanks again deenoh) and am not yet a member of any range, im scoping out the MCS area but am awaiting final word of whether to head for jethro or wait till northstar fixes its ventillation troubles. Im still a total newbie and my gun still hasnt fired any rounds pending a good mentoring in proper gun handling, safety and practical shooting tips (as well as the range membership of course :p).
    So being the excited pup that I am, I have been practicing my grip and dry-firing my new baby every night. Now the question is, would it be okay to do this without a dummy round? Some say yes, some say no. Your inputs would be appreciated. :)

Chip

PS
    I wont be online on sunday so let me be the first to greet HAPPY BDAY ALEXII :) ;)

2. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Better safe than sorry, use a dummy round. ;)

3. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Dummy rounds don't cost much. I buy them at Casa Armas in MCS. You only need one for a Glock, but get extras. Peace of mind, man. And as a newbie, you SHOULD dryfire a LOT. Especially with a Glock - light gun, your sight picture will wobble.

Still, don't be surprised if you fall prey to the "Beginning Glock Shooter's Curse" when you start shooting: impacts low and to the left of target.

4. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Thanks, chipglock! :)

I second the use of dummy rounds. Note that you only need to slightly retract the slide to reset the trigger. No need to eject the dummy round that way. Buy several dummy rounds as these are disposable items; if you see the hole where the firing pin impacts deepens, change to a new dummy round.

Final piece of advice: never dry practice with live rounds nearby. Sounds like I'm nitpicking, I know, but place live rounds away from where you dryfire. Dedicate a specific time period for dryfiring. Always point the gun in a safe direction and be extremely conscious of the bullet's path.

Good luck and be safe!

5. 9MX

9MX Rei!

nope, thats a topnotch tip. safety is premium and paramount when it comes to our pistolas;z

6. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Dummy rounds are not necessary. Glocks are okay to dry fire all you want without dummy rounds. I have not used any on my Glocks when I dry fire them. :cool:

7. vega

vega

I didn't use dummy on my G19 when I still have it but one member here broke his Glock's breech face doing dry firing without dummy. I believe he posted a pic somewhere.

You might as well use a dummy, its not that expensive.

vega

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

vega, trozau

that would be homogenizer. and he broke two g17s;P

9. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Wow! I did not know that the breech face could break (crack?) from dry firing. My bad. In that case it would be better to be safe than sorry.

10. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

These photos are from Mikey177. I think these are photos of Homogenizer's pair of G17s. IIRC, one gave way at 10k+ rounds and the other at 7k+ rounds. And yes, he dryfired a lot without dummy rounds. It isn't conclusive that dryfiring did this, but as vega reasoned, it isn't that expensive to use dummy rounds. Me and a fellow BOG member talked to a Glock representative from Austria the gunshow before the last and he said not to dryfire excessively.

[​IMG]

11. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I've also come across threads in BE's forums about people returning slides due to cracked breech faces. IIRC, one was a G35 and the other was a 21.

The problem we have back here is that warranty work is practically non-existent. It's just too difficult to have the glocks repaired if it breaks.

12. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

I was going to ask about sending it back to Glock for replacement but I guess it is not as easy there as it is here in the US since the Glock importer for Asia is in Hong Kong.

13. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

glock austria via the local retailer (PBD & Nashe) replaced homogenizer and taurus' slides but it took almost 1 year for the replacement slide to arrive. Same serial numbers. They had the defective slides destroyed. (At the PBD gunsmith shop. Cut in two pieces)

14. Vault Keeper

Vault Keeper

Even if its bought elsewhere? One year waiting is better than none at all...how much do you pay for handling?

15. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

Ivan bought his G17s at PBD. Taurus' G19 at Nashte. I don't know how much they paid for the shipping back to Glock Austria. All they asked was for the slides to be cut in half (rendered useless) before they shipped it back.

16. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Glad to read that Glock does good by the customer worldwide (despite of the long/er turn around). :cool:

17. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

iirc, someone posted at pinoyglocksters that glock hk said the same thing.

18. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Yup. That's correct. The Glock rep (an Austrian) we talked to is from Glock Hongkong.

19. atmarcella

atmarcella

Still, don't be surprised if you fall prey to the "Beginning Glock Shooter's Curse" when you start shooting: impacts low and to the left of target. [/B][/QUOTE]

ante,
    that's what's happening to me, why is this so? what am i doing wrong?

20. 9MX

9MX Rei!

[​IMG]