Dry Fire a Savage 17hmr?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MacG22, Feb 13, 2010.

1. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Anyone know if you can dry fire this one?

Seems like many rimfires are making it possible. But I didn't see anything at all in the manual on this one, either way.

2. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

When did you get that?

I looooooove the .17 HMR - mine's a CZ 452. Sub MOA groups at 100 yards all day long.

3. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

I've had a 17 HMR for about three years, and shoot it all the time. Just picked up a Savage 93 today. Got a great deal, and I had a buyer for my Marlin (I really like the accutrigger).

My marlin was fine to dry fire. But I have no idea about this savage and my googlefu turns up nothing.

4. Wyoming

Wyoming

I have a Savage 93 Left Hand in 17 HMR that gets dry fired alot while shooting varmints. We have alot of gophers here and with only five round magazines I have tried to shoot the sixth round too many times only to here click! Damn! Most (if not all) rimfire guns made today have firing pins that are short enough not to hit the chamber. Many rimfire gun don't have a bolt hold open so the only way most people know when their gun is empty is when they drop the hammer (or firing pin) on an empty chamber such as the Ruger 10-22. They made millions of them and if dry firing them were bad it would be all over the internet.

5. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Contact Savage's customer service department.

6. Wyoming

Wyoming

So you can see what their legal deptment says? God I hate answers like that, doesn't anybody know how to do anything anymore? :steamed:

7. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

:upeyes:

FWIW, if you contact Ruger's CS, they will tell you it's safe to dry fire the 10/22.

8. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

I've yet to encounter a lawyer at any firearms manufacturer's customer service or technical department. It's not like calling the White House.

9. Wyoming

Wyoming

"FWIW, if you contact Ruger's CS, they will tell you it's safe to dry fire the 10/22."

Exactlly my point! Why would anyone feel the need to call Ruger and asked them if it is OK to fire their rifle on an empty chamber. We Ruger 10-22 owners are supposed to count and keep tract of how many rounds we have shot so we don't drop the hammer on an empty chamber?

10. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

heres what you do... put a LIVE round in the chambe ront he back porch... point it straight down into the dirt... pull trigger... instand snap cap made that is safe to pull the trigger on.... its not good to dry fire rimfire weapons....

Alex

11. mike55

mike55

You should not dry fire any rimfire. The breach face is very hard metal, the firing pin is very hard metal. They should not be smacked together because you are likely to break the fireing pin. If you want to see how this would work get two good claw hammers and hit the heads together. I 've tried it and one of the heads will break right off.

12. AustinTx

AustinTx

Rugers 22 rf auto pistols have a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from hitting the breech. I'm not too sure about some of the others.

13. mboylan

mboylan

Totally depends on the design of the action. Some actions prevent the firing pin from pinging the outside of the chamber, some don't. You can dry fire a 10/22 all day long with no damage. Some .22s can't be dry fired at all.

14. AustinTx

AustinTx

Does anyone have information on the Marlin 39A? Will dry firing damage one?
    Thanks

15. vafish

vafish

Savage has changed their site around and I can't find it in the FAQ's anymore.

You may want to submit it as a new question.

But they used to have that question listed and the answer was that it's OK to dry fire the Savage 93.

16. vafish

vafish

It depends greatly on the design of the rimfire firearm. Many modern rimfires can safely be dry fired with no damage to the firing pin or breach face.

But you need to contact the manufacturer to find out if dry firing is safe for your firearm.

17. Wyoming

Wyoming

Why don't we start a list of guns you should not dry fire. It would be a lot shorter and we can leave the manufacters alone. I'll start.

Cap and Ball revolver

18. vafish

vafish

Beretta Tomcat owners manual specifically says not to dry fire as it will break the firing pin.

19. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

CZ 75, Rimfire revolvers

20. Wyoming

Wyoming

Wrong, you can come and dry fire my CZ 85 (ambi-control for lefty) and all my S&W rimfires all you want.

What is the actual differents between a center fire and a rimfire S&W. BE VERY CAREFUL, I have owned S&W revolvers since the early 70's and have 18 of them in inventory now.

The main problem I have with all this dry firing fear is that it is based on fear it self not facts. One of the best and cheapest ways to practice trigger control is by dry firing. The late Jeff Cooper wrote that he did everyday with his 45's.

If you don't want to dry fire YOUR guns then DON'T but don't tell other they shouldn't because you think it you heard or feel it might be bad. I'm sure if you owned a Clerke revolver (I'm dating myself) you wouldn't want to dry fire it and I wouldn't want to fire live ammo in it today.

That is my point, if you are a quality gun manufacture of modern design (and you will not be in bussiness long if you are not) the product they make can handle dry firing. A few decades ago, Ruger had on display a single action that was being snap by a machine MILLIONS OF TIMES with no damage!