Drunk driver alert, to call them in or not to call them in?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by guitarguy69, Feb 4, 2010.

1. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

I witnessed what I perceived to be a drunk driver tonight on my way home from work. Granted I didn't get a chance to find out scientifically if in fact such said driver was impaired. But he did cross lanes and couldn't keep his car on a straight and narrow path. I felt compelled to phone 911 and report this driver and did so. Was this the "right" thing to do? I feel a little guilty. Maybe he couldn't see due to the rain, or perhaps was having a stroke. Either way I felt compelled to do so. I am not asking for a pat on the back to make me feel better, I just want unbiased opinions.

Thank you.

2. F350

F350

I have done the same.

If the driver is in medical distress.....You did him a favor as he was in need of help
    If the driver was drunk...................You did the rest of us a favor.

As a reserve sheriffs deputy I worked WAY too many DUI accedents.

3. dakrat

dakrat

it could be your family member for close relative on the opposite lane...

4. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

If the person is ill and in need of help you have done them a great service. If they're drunk and get locked up, sympathy is in the dictionary. They can call a taxi next time.

6. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

This. Said better than I could.

7. FloridaCCW

FloridaCCW

I have done the same thing. You may have saved a life.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Peter Parker Syndrome...

Do you 'let it go' and then have it come back to haunt you for the rest of your life?

I would rather err on the side of safety, and a clear conscience...

9. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

Thanks guys! We should all be so lucky as to say, "I don't know anyone that has been affected by a drunk driver." But more of us can probably state the opposite.

10. OGW

OGW SAF

Yep, call them in. I called on a guy who was driving crazy/impaired last fall in Kansas and about five minutes later a KS trooper went flying by me and pulled him over.

11. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

had enough friends killed by drunk drivers that I would give you an unqualified yes to that question.

And I've done it myself. The most recent one in memory was in sleet/slush with a trucker wandering around at speeds up to around 90, swerving lanes, with a full load of logs. I assume he was headed toward the lumber mill, and probably wasn't drunk, but when you cross over the double yellow six or seven times into oncoming traffic (and there's cutter mooseblower lines so you can hear AND feel it)...well, someone's gonna report ya.

12. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

Call it in and stay with them until LE arrives. It's frustrating to hear that the caller is no longer following and then trying to locate the vehicle.

13. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Don't ever feel guilty about this. If it should turn out that there was no impairment, and you called in a guy who didn't need to be arrested, then he still wouldn't get arrested even after being checked out anyway. No harm done no matter how you look at it.

14. citizen_q

citizen_q

When I was 13, I was in a head-on car accident caused by a drunk driver suddenly swerving into our lane and hitting us. The car behind us hit us from the rear.

One moment I was in a car excited to go fishing with my father, uncle and 2 brothers. The next thing I knew, I was being lifted out of what was left of our car by firemen and placed on the road, and going in an out of consciousness. Of he people who survived, I was the most injured, compound fracture of my left femur, broken collar bone, and multiple lacerations.

My father was killed, my uncle broke his arm, my middle brother just had some cuts and bruises, my youngest brother had a mild head injury.

The drunk driver died. I don't know about the injuries sustained by others involved.

I guess that I am not unbiased.

You did good. Drunk or not, from your description the other driver was a danger to others and himself.

15. feelinlucky?

feelinlucky?

I've called several in over the years. One was stuck in a ditch and trying to get out. I took his keys out of the ignition and waited for the cops...he was not happy. I could care less. I have counseled several guys who have killed people while drunk driving...they become a victim too...for life, if they have a conscience.

16. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

17. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

That's where I went wrong cabindriver. I realized once I made my exit I "Should have stayed with him." I took my exit because of instinct, and should have thought further into the subject. My thought is as long as we are willing to carry guns to help out, with a legal CCW license, we should also be willing to do what we can otherwise to help out, with a drivers license.

18. happy seal

happy seal

I was following a guy last week that crossed the double yellows at least four times in a two mile stretch. His speed was up and down and he just seemed disoriented. I didn't call! :faint: Should I have?

19. Ragnar

Ragnar

If he was drunk and you didn't call him in and he runs over a kid, how would you feel?

If he was having a stroke and you didn't call him in and he died how would you feel?

If he was just having trouble seeing in the rain and you call him in who have you hurt?

20. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If I see someone who looks like a danger to themselves or others I have called them in. There have been times when I sure wish somebody else had done the same, when I encounter a drunk with no warning.