close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drug Resistant Strain of Tuberculosis

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Poodle, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Poodle

Poodle

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

i've had several referrals of tb patients with drug induced optic neuritis.

yung ibang patients positive pa rin sputum tests even after 12 months of taking all kinds of tb medications plus other antibiotics!

3. isuzu

isuzu

That's why doctors here in Canada don't just prescribe antibiotics. According to them, some diseases become resistant to antibiotics at a faster rate when antibiotics is always prescribed.

A Filipino friend here went to the doctor because of a throat infection. The doctor prescribed him water and juices. When he asked the doctor why he was not given antibiotics, he was given that answer.

4. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

I am no doctor, but I amm affiliated with Childrens Hospital.

Our findings are that probably every single child in the Philippines has some tuberculosis germs in his lungs, but most of the time these are inactive (they can stay in there, covered in a kind of cocoon, for years). When children's immune systems get compromised - they don't get enough nourishment or rest, or they get debilitated from some other disease - then the tuberculosis germs can come out.

Tuberculosis germs are all around in the Philippines. Mostly they are inactive. The children we have seen with tuberculosis have not had the really virulent forms of TB like the drug-resitant cases in Russia and other places.

5. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Kaya ingat sa tagay, at kilalanin palagi ang ka-tagay mo. ;)

6. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Tuberculosis_Confinement.html

Monday, April 2, 2007 · Last updated 11:22 a.m. PT

TB victim is locked up in Arizona
    By CHRIS KAHN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

PHOENIX -- Behind the county hospital's tall cinderblock walls, a 27-year-old tuberculosis patient sits in a jail cell equipped with a ventilation system that keeps germs from escaping.

Robert Daniels has been locked up indefinitely, perhaps for the rest of his life, since last July. But he has not been charged with a crime. Instead, he suffers from an extensively drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis, or XDR-TB. It is considered virtually untreatable.

County health authorities obtained a court order to lock him up as a danger to the public because he failed to take precautions to avoid infecting others. Specifically, he said he did not heed doctors' instructions to wear a mask in public.

"I'm being treated worse than an inmate," Daniels said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press last month. "I'm all alone. Four walls. Even the door to my room has been locked. I haven't seen my reflection in months."

Though Daniels' confinement is extremely rare, health experts say it is a situation that U.S. public health officials may have to confront more and more because of the spread of drug-resistant TB and the emergence of diseases such as SARS and avian flu in this increasingly interconnected world.

"Even though the rate of TB in the U.S. is at the lowest ever this last year, we live in a globalized world where, if anything emerges anywhere, it could come to our country right away," said Mark Harrington, executive director of the Treatment Action Group, an American advocacy group.

The World Health Organization warned last year of the emergence of extensively drug-resistant TB. The new strain, which has been found throughout the world, including pockets of the former Soviet Union and Asia, is resistant not only to the first line of TB drugs but to some second-line antibiotics as well.

HIV patients with weakened immune systems are especially susceptible. In South Africa, WHO reported that 52 of 53 HIV patients died within an average of 25 days after it was discovered they also had XDR-TB.

How to deal with people infected with the new strain is a matter of debate.

Dr. Ross Upshur, director of the Joint Centre for Bioethics at the University of Toronto, said authorities should detain people with drug-resistant tuberculosis if they are uncooperative.

"We're on the verge of taking what was a curable disease, one of the best known diseases in human endeavors, and making it incurable," Upshur said.

7. theTactician

theTactician

it has been a well documented fact even way before regarding the presence of multi-drug resistant TB or MDRTB.
    but what can we do? i mean, if you've already used up all possible TB drugs (INH, rifampicin, PZA, Ethambutol, Streptomycin and other newer drugs) and still it doesnt work, your patient ends up having miliary Tb or whatever TB complications, then that's it. you just have to deal with it by treating patients supportively.