Glock Talk banner

Dropped Glock 43 out of locker today

6529 41
So, I done gone and done it. I was moving some stuff around in my locker at work and my month old G43 slid out off the top shelf on to the tile floor. The top back left corner has a slight indentation where it hit. There is also a smaller indentation on the left front corner. It must have fallen and hit the back left and then bounced a bit and hit the front left. everything else looks ok and I don't see any of the tenifer removed. I'll post pictures when I get off, Figure everything else looked normal, and it cycles normally by hand. The Trijicon HD's vials don't seem to be damaged. So, it looks like only cosmetic. but is there something I should inspect more closely before I fire? Any help would be awesome!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Banned
12,952 Posts
It will be okay. I dropped my main 26 on the asphalt a few years back. Fortunately it just scratched the bottom front of the frame grip area and I was able to sand the scratches out. It was in a leather holster.

· Just sayin'
4,680 Posts
Good to hear only cosmetic damage was incurred. I also learned not to "catch" a gun that is falling. Bad things can happen then.

Reactions: DubfromGA

· Registered
151 Posts
So, I done gone and done it. I was moving some stuff around in my locker at work and my month old G43 slid out off the top shelf on to the tile floor. The top back left corner has a slight indentation where it hit. There is also a smaller indentation on the left front corner. It must have fallen and hit the back left and then bounced a bit and hit the front left. everything else looks ok and I don't see any of the tenifer removed. I'll post pictures when I get off, Figure everything else looked normal, and it cycles normally by hand. The Trijicon HD's vials don't seem to be damaged. So, it looks like only cosmetic. but is there something I should inspect more closely before I fire? Any help would be awesome!
It should be fine but, you could inspect the frame for any cracks and dry fire it a few times then range time for final analysis. Take it apart after the range and clean it thoroughly then recheck it for any cracks or misaligned parts. If everything looks good reassemble, lube then dry fire. I am very anal about this sooner or later it happens to everyone whether it is a pistol, rifle or shotgun.

· Registered
2,903 Posts
Its all in how it hits the floor. I dropped a plastic part from an ice cream machine the other day on a tile floor and it cracked. If your saw this part you would think no way could that break Even people who hit there head.

· Registered
7,131 Posts
As long as a full function check of the pistol is successful, I wouldn't worry about it. The same function check I do any time I detail strip my firearms will do. Check that the slide locks back properly on an empty magazine, check the trigger safety, pull the trigger, and check reset by racking without the magazine, and drop a pencil with an eraser down the barrel and pull the trigger to test function of the striker. If the pencil pops itself out of the barrel, you are good to go and as others have said, I am sure the damage is cosmetic only. That check literally takes a minute to perform and just confirms it.

· Registered
77 Posts
It wouldn't be tenifer treated if it was a G 43,rather nitro carbonized gas treated,in both Austria and U S production guns.
Even when the tenifer process was used tenifer was not the exterior finish seen,rather a metal treatment . SJ 40
Tenifer is still used on all Glocks. Tenifer is just a trade name for ferritic nitrocarburizing. Melonite is another trade name for the same process. The difference between S&W/SA and Glock's processes is that Glock parkerizes the slide after the nitrocarburizing to produce the matte finish. I've had it applied to many tools at work.

· GORILLA BROTHER
213 Posts
Thats why i love these pistols. As stated already, if it couldnt handle a 5 ft drop i wouldnt want to own a gun like that. Glocks can take plenty of abuse and function fine. The only thing id be worried about are the trijicon hds. Those are expensive and id hate to break a vial in them. Looks like its just cosmetic damage. Gives it character. Mine have some as well.

· Banned
16,041 Posts
Tenifer is still used on all Glocks. Tenifer is just a trade name for ferritic nitrocarburizing. Melonite is another trade name for the same process. The difference between S&W/SA and Glock's processes is that Glock parkerizes the slide after the nitrocarburizing to produce the matte finish. I've had it applied to many tools at work.
Tenifer is a patented process,not a trade name,while they all accomplish the same goal there is a process difference between nitro carbonized gas treated,Melonite,also a patented process name,nitro carbonized gas treated and Tenifer. None of which are the final exterior finish seen on the exterior of a factory Glock pistol. SJ 40

· Premium Member
CLM #38
11,037 Posts

Best pic I can get of the worst of it. Was unaware of the coating being changed. Good to know. Just saying the coating didn't appear to be warn away or scraped off.
Now it's got character.

Once you go to the range and fire a few rounds to confirm it works properly you can forget all about it.

I won't tell you about the time a $2,500 custom 1911 fell out of my locker at work............

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.