Drone Stalking?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 25, 2020.

1. thewitt

thewitt

RC Aircraft have required registration since 2016, and the registration number must be affixed to the aircraft.

2. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

So maybe a day and 4 miles?

jimcorbin likes this.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I just tried hovering up to the (out of sight) window.
    Not as easy as it sounds.

I was around the other side of the house and about 20 yards away.

The car is in the driveway, by the front door and there's a tree out about 20 feet from the window.

A couple times I cheated.
    I left the Drone hovering and I walked around the house to make sure I was clear of the tree.

Then I went back and continued hovering the Drone up to the window, using the transmitters view screen
    The Drone and Tree can just be seen in the window.

I could have hovered the Drone a couple feet closer to the window, but I quit while I was ahead. :)

Then I had to, sight unseen, hover away from the house and fly away.

Not as easy as it sounds, "Peeking in a window". :)

hubsan_snap_19700101_080541.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    badge315 likes this.
  4. NoStress

NoStress

You might if you thought it ridiculous that some would be so afraid of their government that they would not destroy a drone hovering around their windows. Not just flying over or even flying around on your property - but hovering around the windows of your home. Are they casing your home? Seeing if you have a child that interests them? Trying to get pics of your daughter or wife? Whatever the reason I would most certainly bring it down if possible and not worry one bit.

And you might if you believed there was not a snowball's chance in hell of ever being prosecuted. The Feds have better things to spend money on. They have guide lines about what they take on and they just are not going to fiddle with some guy that destroys a drone, hovering around his windows, on his own property.

5. nerr

nerr

6. Bradd D

Bradd D

There are those that say the same about guns and accessories.

cheygriz likes this.
  7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

This is really a silly argument.

No Drone flyer is going to try to fly down to a couple feet from a house (window).
    Fly over the house or hover overhead 20-50 feet high, maybe.

But flying the Drone a couple feet from a house while trying to look in a window,
    while trying to control the Drone by looking at a (not real sharp) Drone's Transmitter view screen. From maybe a thousand yards away.
    With the Real probability that the home owner could come out and swat the Drone with a Broom.
    The Drone can see only in one direction at a time. A person can approach it from any direction, except head on, and won't be seen.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Actually, if there wasn't a bunch of (Federal, State and Local) laws against building such a bird, I suspect that many good Drone operators/gun knowledgeable people could build a working bird like that.

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    You can put a cover on just about any switch. We use guarded switches for a lot more than just weapons

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Good point.

11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Bro, are you saying that you think the Feds are going to get involved in a case where a home owner smashes a drone flying around their yard?

12. thewitt

thewitt

The FAA takes aircraft regulations very seriously. You can kid yourself all you want, they are not a typical BS room full of stuffed suits.

ray9898 and cheygriz like this.
  13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Swing and a miss. You own everything on your property except the exterior air. HH

14. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

If it was my drone you brought down, you would be guaranteed a civil lawsuit. I think most folks will sue your pants off if you maliciously destroy their private property. Paranoia never ends well.

15. NoStress

NoStress

You are kidding yourself if you think they care about THIS issue.
    They enforce what they deem important.

This would have been a slam dunk case had they chose to make one.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...404E62904BE10571A804404E62904BE1057&FORM=VIRE

The excerpt below, posted 3/4/2019, is from the link that follows it.

" I am not aware of a single case where a government has brought charges under 18 U.S.C. § 32 against someone who shoots down a drone.”

https://dronelife.com/2019/03/04/drones-will-be-shot-down-until-these-misconceptions-are-tackled/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  16. thewitt

thewitt

papershoot likes this.
  17. NoStress

NoStress

Maybe you would have a shot at winning where ever you live but not where I live. The counterclaim I would come up with should not be too tough to win.

Intrusion Upon Seclusion

Alaska follows the Restatement (Second) of Torts § 652B: “One who intentionally intrudes, physically or otherwise, upon the solitude or seclusion of another or his private affairs or concerns, is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy, if the intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person.”

Consistent with other states, Alaska requires that the plaintiff show both an objective and subjective expectation of privacy and that the intrusion was both objectively and subjectively unreasonable.2 In other words, the plaintiff must believe her privacy was unreasonably invaded, and the jury must agree her belief is reasonable.

Deanster likes this.
  18. papershoot

papershoot

19. M7425

M7425

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

With this "peeking in the window " stuff in mind, yesterday I flew over to the neighbor's/friend's place (600+ yards away), to see just how realistic this "peeking in a window" stuff is.

They have a couple large (clear) fields for their Horses, but actually hovering up close to the house, without hitting something, would be near impossible.
    Remember, close up, all the Drone operator can see is a small area directly in front of the Drone.

I'm guessing that pretty much just finding a clear hovering path to the windows of most houses, or hovering low around the house without hitting anything would be difficult, or impossible.

Of course, the approach all around some houses, will be completely clear.

hubsan_snap_19700101_080823.jpg

Deanster likes this.