Driving!

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BadKarma1208, Mar 1, 2010.

1. BadKarma1208

BadKarma1208 INFIDEL

I don't know how many times I have asked my self, what if I needed to pull the trigger while sitting here in my truck? I usually have my shirt covered by a lite jacket then a seat belt.

On thing I did was clip my PM9 onto my seat belt in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. Works great for driving and I can still cover it with my jacket if needed.

With my upgrade to a G34 now I have the same dilemma. Since the Uncle Mike's are cheap I can leave the holster in the truck. I also leave a small towel in my passenger seat to cover up anything else(like cell phone when i walk into a store etc.)

What is your solution?

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I carry outside the waistband at about the 3:30-4:00 position. When I am driving, I just simply pull my jacket and untucked shirt out from underneath the seatbelt. Then, if I did need to draw, all I would need to do is rock forward in one quick motion to get a hand on my firearm. If I need to draw, then I can do so at the time I see fit.

3. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

The solution is called crossdraw. It has the added advantage in that you can easily reach it with your off hand should your strong hand not be available. Other than the ocassional fanny pack and an even rarer use of a shoulder holster it's the only way I carry anymore.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. Jon_R

Jon_R

I am left handed so I caught a break for once. :) No seat belt in my way.

5. farley45

farley45

Work on your situational awareness.

Work out how you would draw under the circumstances you are generally in.

Also, instead of covering stuff up with a towel take it with you or put in the glove box or console. But, the cell phone is something you should have on you especially if you are carrying a firearm.

6. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I agree with this statement 100%. The first party to make a phone call in an unfortunate situation that might involve a firearm has a leg up in the court system later on, IMHO.

7. BadKarma1208

BadKarma1208 INFIDEL

No problem here. I would never leave the gun in the car covered by the towel. Just making a point that as your driving you can cover it with either your jacket or in my case I have a towel that works good. But this is only while driving.

I can just see how hard it is to pull it out of the holster while the seat belt is fastened. I try and I could never do it fast enough. Hence the reason I clip it onto the seat belt. Keeps it at the front of the belly and easy to conceal if there is a high truck next to you at a stop light. With the bangers in my area I can't afford to have a hiccup when I decide it needs to be used.

8. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jeepnik hit it on the head!

I took a training course once where you were required to draw from a seated position in a vehicle. I can tell you...

I failed miserably!!!

If you have the chance to go to a range or your private land I recommend that you try drawing while seated. Carry in your normal fashion. Make sure your weapon is clear!!! Give it a go a few times. Figure out the best position to carry your weapon while seated in your vehicle. Did I mention, MAKE SURE YOUR WEAPON IS CLEAR BEFORE TRYING THIS!

9. dakrat

dakrat

its easy, don't tailgate other vehicles...

10. farley45

farley45

I wasn't speaking of a firearm per se. I was talking about you mentioning covering a cell phone when you exit the vehicle. You should keep that on you.

Also, if I was not keeping the firearm holstered on me (which I do) I wouldn't cover it with a towel. If your intentions are to leave it out then I would mount a holster somewhere in the vehicle that is easy to access if the laws permit.

As sugested cross draw would work pretty well. But, I have had good luck with adjusting where I carry the firearm and practicing drawing the firearm. Nothing can solve problems as well as practicing can.

11. RioKid

RioKid

I take my owb paddle holster and move it over to my off side like a crossdraw when driving. I can still keep it covered and get to it easily. I am also thinking of getting a cheapo soft holster so I can put a gun down between the seat and the console leaving only the grip visible. I can just lay a towel over it for concealment.

12. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Check out the carjacker crossdraw from Andrews Custom Leather. it is specially designed for in the car use, it can be put on and taken off easily, so you can carry your normal rig when you get out of the car.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

13. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Due to a medical condition, I carry cross draw all the time. Not the method I prefer nor carried in for years, but it does work and with practice one get rather used to it. Depends on what you must do I suppose.

It's a great boon when driving though.

14. dosei

dosei

XD45 Compact Service carried strong side (right handed) IWB in a Kytac Braveheart holster...access while in the car wearing a seatbelt is not a problem even when wearing a jacket. Never did really understand why people have a problem with it, I never have.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  15. voodoomanx

voodoomanx Large Member

I can rock my body forward and access my G19 in a Comp-Tac C-tac with the belt on. I carry around 4-4:30.

edit: It's the draw stroke not to sweep my femoral artiery (or the passenger seat) that still makes me twitch. Practice, practice, practice.

Timely question. This is something I just added to my training regimen.

Since I am behind the wheel, my first priority is to drive out of danger post haste. A chevy tahoe makes a formidable opponent.

16. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Rubberized vehicle magnet mounted under dashboard.

17. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

UH................tell that guy to take his finger off the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUH!

18. Geaux Tigerz

Geaux Tigerz

19. PTRJason

PTRJason

And I thought it was hard to pull it from my duty holster while seated. When I sit and do paper work I pull it out set it on my lap. It is hidden from view because my posse box sits on my mag pouch and the steering wheel. But right there in case someone walks up on me.

When I CCWd I just wore it in a paddle holster on the 3-4, with a light button up shirt over it. One of the things I practiced was while reaching for it was to undo the seat belt, because if I had to use my weapon, I did not want to be locked in my truck, strapped in, I wanted to be drawing and getting the target while get out of my truck to engage and move around my truck for cover if needed.

20. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Yeah? Have you tried it? How well does your elbow interact with the driver's door when you're drawing?

I'm a southpaw; I've considered a right-handed shoulder holster for long driving trips.