Glock Talk banner

Driving to DC

922 views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  snuggles 
#1 ·
Planing a trip to DC from NJ for Thanksgiving and i would like to bring my both
hand guns with me(Glock 17, Beretta 92FS).

I will be in DC from Wednesday thru Sunday, what are Va laws like.
I will be carrying them in my trunk of course locked in the trunk with ammo in locked in my ammo carrier.

The only reason i would like to take it with me so i could go to my favorite range in Fairfax, VA. Would i be breaking any laws. I gathered some info and it says Va is a open carry state what does that mean ? Would i be able to carry it open (just for the heck of it)

Just heard some poor guy went to jail for 7 years by legally carrying his guns in NJ...

Any help would be highly appreciated

#4 ·
You can open carry in VA, on your hip. Your good carrying it in your car in the way you mentioned in VA as well, I dont know that I would bring it into DC though.
I would get a second opinion from locals in NoVA as they were a state within a state (at least when I used to live there). Comparing their enforcement to the rest of the state is similar to comparing them with another state.

#5 ·
I am going to stay in Manassas and will take a drive to NRA Museum and range for couple days. So i could carry it open on the hip without any problem is that right away from DC.
That would be some experience. Thanks for the help.
I called the PD in VA but they took my info and told me some one would call back but no one did.....

#6 ·
good thing to figure out now, for sure. look up the virginia citizens' defense league - they are a recommended source for info. I recently moved to Fairfax, haven't been out to shoot yet. What's your favorite range - NRA HQ? I intend to make it there ASAP. Map carefully, depending on what you find out about DC laws - one wrong turn, and you'll end up in the Pentagon, a military base, the white house, congress, reagan airport, or some other place that most people would not want to be without being in full compliance. I have been through DC several times already, with a new GPS, and getting turned around is easier than getting where I have been going every time. Do it right and don't worry about it (preaching to the choir, I know - just supporting your efforts to do it right).

#8 ·
I am going to stay in Manassas and will take a drive to NRA Museum and range for couple days. So i could carry it open on the hip without any problem is that right away from DC.
That would be some experience. Thanks for the help.
I called the PD in VA but they took my info and told me some one would call back but no one did.....
You posted while I was writing - I see now that you are going to NRA range.

I also recommend checking out all the property lines for colleges and other areas that might not be carry-/gun- friendly (legal). George Mason seems to sprawl, expand and contract oddly. I use to live near Ann Arbor, MI, and UM'
s campus had some indeciperable boundary lines. I was always wary of inadvertently crossing an unintelligible boundary and suddenly being unlawfully armed.

#9 ·

I also recommend checking out all the property lines for colleges and other areas that might not be carry-/gun- friendly (legal). George Mason seems to sprawl, expand and contract oddly. I use to live near Ann Arbor, MI, and UM'
s campus had some indeciperable boundary lines. I was always wary of inadvertently crossing an unintelligible boundary and suddenly being unlawfully armed.[/Q

Yes i am going to the NRA range i have not seen any range here in NJ with that kind of equipment. Especially when the target turns. Though it so difficult and complicated to operate, when last time i was there i could not learn all the features on that computer panel.

This time i would be taking one of my friends to the NRA museum.
George Mason i heard is a NO NO when it comes to carry. I would stay away from open carrying it.

I have to be back at work on Monday and i can not take any chances to get stuck in the Pentagon for some interrogation.
Thanks for the help i know it is better to be safe than sorry.
I wish i could just move to Va, NJ state scares the you know what out of its citizens. Just recently some poor guy got a 7 years sentence for carrying his weapons from one place to the other.

I know there is more to that story that his mother called and told authorities that he is sucidal but stilll.....

I was checking for other ranges which are open to the public, do you any outside ones near Fairfax area.

Take care.:wavey:

#10 · (Edited)
While driving in VA, as of July 1st, you can carry your handguns loaded, in the center console or glove box if you like. You can also open carry. However, I would strongly recommended against driving through DC or MD while in possession of any firearms, regardless of if they are being transported in compliance with federal safe passage laws. So, short of taking a long detour through WV, I'm not sure how you are going to safely get your firearms into VA to shoot them.

s campus had some indeciperable boundary lines. I was always wary of inadvertently crossing an unintelligible boundary and suddenly being unlawfully armed.
In VA, there are no "gun free zones" at schools or college campuses.

#11 ·
While driving in VA, as of July 1st, you can carry your handguns loaded, in the center console or glove box if you like. You can also open carry. However, I would strongly recommended against driving through DC or MD while in possession of any firearms, regardless of if they are being transported in compliance with federal safe passage laws. So, short of taking a long detour through WV, I'm not sure how you are going to safely get your firearms into VA to shoot them.

In VA, there are no "gun free zones" at schools or college campuses.
Are you saying i can not take or pass through MD with firearms in my car.
I have to pick up my friend from germantown, MD. I did not know that earlier this year i did pass by MD when i went on vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC. In fact i passed MD going to SC and on my way back to NJ. Thanks for the info i have to check this out.
Thank you

#12 ·
Are you saying i can not take or pass through MD with firearms in my car.
I have to pick up my friend from germantown, MD. I did not know that earlier this year i did pass by MD when i went on vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC. In fact i passed MD going to SC and on my way back to NJ. Thanks for the info i have to check this out.
Thank you
Legally, you can pass through while complying with the FOPA's Safe Passage provision. However, there have been known cases of MD State Troopers illegally arresting people transporting firearms, even though they were following the law. If you MUST bring your guns through MD, I would strongly advise you to be EXTREMELY careful while travelling there (go slightly under the posted limits, come to a complete stop for 5 seconds at stop signs, wear your damned seat belt, etc etc.) I personally would not risk it just to go to the range.

#13 ·
Legally, you can pass through while complying with the FOPA's Safe Passage provision. However, there have been known cases of MD State Troopers illegally arresting people transporting firearms, even though they were following the law. If you MUST bring your guns through MD, I would strongly advise you to be EXTREMELY careful while travelling there (go slightly under the posted limits, come to a complete stop for 5 seconds at stop signs, wear your damned seat belt, etc etc.) I personally would not risk it just to go to the range.
I understand and yes you are right it is not worth getting arrested just for a little fun in VA. Thanks for the info i am trying to read it on their website and yes it seems like that it is not allowed.

They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division.

#14 · (Edited)
I understand and yes you are right it is not worth getting arrested just for a little fun in VA. Thanks for the info i am trying to read it on their website and yes it seems like that it is not allowed.

They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division.

It does NOT have to be to a "shooting sporting event".

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
http://www.michie.com/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&2.0

#15 ·
I would STRONGLY advise to NOT drive through Washington, DC with a firearm or ammunition in your vehicle!!!
("Possession of an un-registered firearm and un-registered ammunition" will get them confiscated and you arrested!!!)

Now, for Maryland -

Are you aware that in Maryland, having a loaded MAGAZINE in the vehicle constitutes a loaded firearm??? Keep magazines EMPTY and OUT of the firearm!
So. . . here's some advise, from experience.

Maryland is NOT firearm friendly!

Firearms and ammunition in different locations, in separate containers, preferably locked containers.
Yes, they can both be in the trunk, but, physically keep them separated and not readily accessible.

While driving through Maryland (from out-of-state), IF you stop, make that stop only for gasoline, or to go through the 'drive-through' to a burger joint.
(And don't eat your burger in their parking lot, either!!)
Maryland law (as stated above) does NOT allow for 'side stops'! I know of people that were detained for stopping at the grocery store when they had unloaded firearms in the car, after a session at the range.

#16 ·
becareful where you end up at. There are several federal agencies throughout Northern VA if you happen to end up on one you may end up under arrest for having a firearm whether in your car or on your person. Just make sure you know where and where not to go.

#17 ·
Don't bring it into DC, not legal to carry, even in the car. Ammo is also restricted. I would lock ammo and weapons in different containers going thru MD.

Yes you can open carry in VA, which means that you can have it in a holster on your hip. Depending on the part of VA, you may attract attention, but it is legal.

There are restrictions, schools, courts, places of worship, federal facilities, and if the owner of the property indicates that there is a no firearm policy and asks you to leave.

#19 ·
I called MD state Police and VA state Police and they both said it is legal to transport firearms as long as they are unloaded and not accessible to the driver.
I informed them that i have a SUV and there is no trunk and they said make sure it is in a a container and locked. Bullets could be in the car but not in the same container.
It is the same way we carry or transport guns in the great state of NJ.
For reference purposes i asked them their full names and information which they gladly provided me.
I am going to take it with me and hopefully do not get to find out otherwise.
They said that i could transport firearms through or to any state in the entire US as long as i follow the state transportation laws which is again locked in the trunk.
Va trooper said he is originally from SC and once i enter the state line i could have it loaded in my Glove box of even in my center console.
I wrote their names and information and have the PD tel numbers, in case i get pulled over and get asked why i am transporting my firearms.
Both of them were really nice and they explained everything very clearly so hats off to VA and MD state troopers.

#20 · (Edited)
As the MD and VA troopers told you, you will be fine if the gun is unloaded and in a locked case, I don't think it even has to be a locked case, but it's a good idea.

One other thing, MD game regulations define a loaded gun as rounds in the magazine. It's recommended that your mags be unloaded too.

VA open carry is fine. I don't do it often, but I have on several occasions in Fairfax County. Never had a problem, even the Saturday morning I was headed to a IPSC match with my gun and a bunch of mags on. Stopped by the bank, went to 7-11, and then gassed up the truck and no one said a word.

Remember Manassas is the place where they have gun racks in the back windows of their Porsche's.

And as others have said, DO NOT take your gun into the District of Columbia.

#21 ·
As BYF43 said. Passing thru is passing thru. If you stop anywhere that could be considered as tourisim or terrorisim, you are at the mercy of who ever realizes you have a handgun. Properly stored, locked, isolated, pick your phrase. It won't matter you will be in the system. Drive around, skip entirely or Ship them to an ffl at your final destination and pay the 20 or so bucks to pick it up. It's a lot cheaper than thousands in defense. Or just do it an don't get caught !!!!!

#22 ·
Fairfax county PD is surprisingly tolerant and respectful of open carriers. You can chalk that up to VCDL constantly pushing the boundaries and OCing all over the area!

The general public, in that region at least, are usually more curious than afraid/angry/etc. You might get a few gawkers or 'man with a gun' cop call. But for the most part it's generally well-accepted, and you might even start up a few interesting conversations.

Funny thing is that you'd think it would be the other way around in such a densely pack liberal area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.