Driving to Chicago - car transport of a handgun possible at all?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cowboy1964, Feb 9, 2013.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Going from Ohio, through Indiana, to Chicago. I *think* I can legally transport through Illinois (I plan on field stripping the gun, locking it in a case before I get to Illinois) but it's Chicago that concerns me since Iillinois does not have a state preemption clause. Is it legally possible or should I just forget about it?

(I have an Ohio CHL but I don't think it matters anyway because of the way I would be transporting it. But apparently it can count as an equivalent of the Illinois FOID card).

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

2. bug

bug

Are you stopping/staying in Chicago?

Or are you continuing on to another state?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Chicago is my final destination and I'm there for a few days. I know there is a 24 hour rule as it relates to interstate transportation but that won't apply here. I don't think it's doable without a Chicago Firearms Permit. I think I *could* do it if I stayed outside of Chicago?

If I left the city limits each day would that make it legal?? Probably not I suppose.

Aren't firearms laws just great? No wonder so many people innocently run afoul of them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. bug

bug

Then my advice is leave it at home
    I travel through Chicago once a year on my way to SDakota for hunting and have never had a problem.
    Unloaded and locked up and out of reach your fine.

But if you are staying there and something goes wrong( pulled over,gun stolen, whatever). I believe you would be hard pressed to explain why you have a unregistered gun in cook county...
    when we go that way its always at night and we do not stop....

ETA even if you did leave the city once a day to keep legal how would one prove such a thing?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

I've "transported" my firearm through Illinois a few times, unloaded and cased, with the ammo in a different location of the vehicle.

However, if I have to go to Chicago, or any other city or town in Illinois, I leave my gun at home.

I hope they change their laws!

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The Chicago transport problem could be solved if the state would just pass a "can't preempt" law, but the odds of that happening are slim to none. Chicago, like NYC, is it's own little fiefdom. With multiple murders per day typically. That's Liberalland for ya.

7. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

The fact that other people have taken a firearm into Chicago without issue isn't relevant. It is a an action that can have extremely serious consequences. I am faced with a similar situation when traveling to Cape Cod through NYC...and, I don't take the risk.

8. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

It may matter very little what you do. If there is an event, you will likely only get to present your side in court, right next to rapists and murderers.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Guess it's not possible. Ironic that the place I would most need to defend myself during my journey I cannot legally do so as I could in Indiana or Ohio or even in Illinois outside Chicago.

When the **** are people going to wake up??

10. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

I would do my best to stay the H*** out of Chicago or spend a dime of my hard earned cash in that bastion of everything that is wrong with this country . I second the people need to wake up line !

11. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Used to have to take my daughter to Chicago from Indianapolis a few times each year, at first I followed the "better tried by twelve than carried by six rule", then paranoid about meeting "Mr Friendly" at the Cook County jail, I did everything from disassembled in the trunk transport, to leaving it in the garage, hoping I did not need it. Lucky I never did. Last summer driving the Great Lakes circle route, I disassembled my G-23/27, and reassembled as soon as I crossed the Wisconsin state line.

12. Filhar

Filhar

I was born in Chicago and moved to So Wi. I'm a competition shooter and shoot with many Chicago residents. Going home with their guns could make them felons. I need to go into the city occasionally and I always carry in car console or in the safe I have in the car. I won't take the chance of breaking down with my family in the car. The only time I was ever pulled over, was by a State Trooper because of a broken tailight and my pick up front seat was stacked to the window with gun cases. He smiled and asked if anything was loaded. I said no and he gave me a warning. That said, A shooting buddy of mine is a retired South Side Chicago PD Officer. He has told friends who want to stop and visit in Chicago with their guns to not even attempt it. He says all it would take would be a car break in or a nasty neighbor to get you in a lot of trouble. My gun is either in my car with me or in a camera or computer bag when I'm out of the car. Flame away, but I will protect my own and due to their lifestyle they need to go to the city once in a while.

13. Glockgeezer

Glockgeezer

I was born and raised in Chicago. I lived there until I graduated College in the 60's. I still have a house in central Illinois which I spend 4-6 months of the yr. at. When traveling to Wisconsin or points north, I bypass Chicago and Cook County. My State Police friends assure me I will have no problem as long as my weapons are unloaded and cased. Using my Florida CC permit I have purchased ammo and even a shotgun with no trouble in and around central IL. In fact, the local Farm Store has consistently had the best prices on most ammo and I stock up before returning to FL.

14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I'd CCW my G17. Who would know? What are the chances of the cops finding out? Probably the same chances as being mugged or assaulted.

15. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Get a hotel in NW Indiana. Secure your CCW in the safe provided, or at the office safe.
    I was a Police Officer, and would not take my firearm to Chicago! Carry pepper spray, and a 3-4 D cell maglite. NW Ind hotels are only 1/2 hr away from Chicago.

16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Great idea. I have pepper spray and the 5-D cell MagLight.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013