close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Driving from MI through OH, KY, TN, GA to Miami, FL

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by wardboy5, Jan 20, 2010.

1. wardboy5

wardboy5

I'm trying to do all the homework I can before this trip and I know Michigan has reciprocity with all the states I will be traveling through. However, I am still a little confused as to whether or not I will actually be legit possessing a loaded pistol while I'm driving through all these states, let alone when I actually arrive in Miami. My main concern revolves around being armed while fishing in FL. Anything I should look into that will shed light on this (ie: websites, LE Agency numbers) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

You're fine in Kentucky. For the fine print, see www.kentuckystatepolice.org

I tried to link to the CCDW section, but the site appears to be down at the moment.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

OK, if those states all recognize your Michigan CCW, why wouldn't they allow you to possess a loaded pistol while driving? I know Ohio used to have some law where the gun had to be "openly carried" while in a vehicle, but I don't know if thats still the case...

Or do you not have a Michigan CCW?

http://www.handgunlaw.us might help.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

5. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

6. wardboy5

wardboy5

I found the CCDW site and everything checked out okay. Thank you.

7. wardboy5

wardboy5

As a non-resident its that fine print that concerns me, like the example you used with Ohio. From what I've gathered thus far, it seems I can carry on with business as I would here in Michigan. It was this FAQ that I misread that made me want to double check:

QUESTION 5. I have a concealed carry permit from one of the states with which Florida has reciprocity, but I am not a resident of that state. Can I carry legally while visiting a Florida?

No. Florida, like Michigan and New Hampshire, has a residency requirement in its reciprocity law. Florida does not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states.

The website was helpful. Thank you.

8. rjflyn

rjflyn

And Florida is very liberal in its interpretation of securely encased. It also is without regard to loaded or unloaded. And is as basically allows one to have a gun in the vehicle sitting on the seat in a holster, in the glove box/console, in a zipped case or box for that matter. It just cant be sitting in the open, or if its on your person its concealed and then you need a permit.

9. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

In MI you can open carry, FL you can not. In MI you can have a gun in a holster laying on the passanger seat of the car, in OH you can not.
    Little stuff like that can bite you so be careful.

10. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

For data on Tennessee go here http://www.tfaonline.org/index.php/reciprocity/index

This should answer your questions.

For me, being a TN resident and having a HCP, I am allowed to have the loaded weapon on my person in the vehicle.

My understanding though is that for myself and all others it must be kept in a concealed manner....

Read up.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

OK.. I think I see your confusion.. When a state says they have reciprocity with "Resident Only" permits, that means you have to be a resident of the issuing state in order for the permit to be valid. Residents of some states that do not issue(Illinois for example) or people who need to carry in places where their home permit is not recognized get "Non Resident. They are a resident of another state, but have a permit issued by.. for example... Florida or Utah. You're right though, some states only recognize Resident permits. Indiana, recognizes all 50 states Resident and Non-Resident permits... so anybody is good to go here.. :)

Safe travels. :)

IGF

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Do you have a Michigan permit and does FL share reciprocity with Michigan? If so, you are good to go. You are reading that passage wrong. That would be like if FL did not recognize a VA CHP, but I had a permit from a state that FL did recognize. Mine would not count. Because I am not a resident of the other state.

13. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I believe that used to be the case, no longer true.

They were supposed to open rest stops to concealed carry, but were dragging their feet about implementing it, so some could possibly still be listed off limits.

Randy

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I'll have a similar situation for spring break except driving from Indiana to Florida. Indiana has reciprocity with all the states (KY, TN, GA, FL). My understanding of the FL law (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that I can legally conceal carry but not open carry. I know there are also some restricted areas like schools, government buildings etc. Does any one know about state parks? What about Sanibel Island? Is it a park or considered restricted in anyway?

15. HDRider2002

HDRider2002

Basically if you hold a Michigan CPL, you just need to be sure that each state you pass through has reciporcity with Michigan. Do not worry about "non-resident" permits, as this does not apply to you. I used to be that people would get a Florida non-resident permit because they did have reciprocity with most states. Michigan (where i am from) is just about the same as florida now with their reciprocity. Upon my last CPL renewal 36 of 50 states honored a Michigan issued resident permit.
    Going from Michigan south to florida i do not see any states that WOULD NOT honor your michigan CPL